1 - Accident

1

"EOS, what were you talking about earlier? About things not seeming right?"

"I looked at the activity logs. There was a moment when high water pressure was registered in your bathroom, but it was so quick that none of the systems were able to respond to it. I think someone forced the systems to turn a blind eye."

"Someone's hacking the station?" John raised an incredulous eyebrow as he turned to his bagel.

"The same thing happened just now in the med bay. In addition, the water circuits are out, but the breaker is still active. The computer is malfunctioning, or, as you say, hacked."

"Okay," John finished his bagel, "Just in case someone has managed to gain control of Thunderbird Five, I want you to gather up your program and place it into the central memory core of the station, so that I can remove and transport it manually."

EOS stopped blinking, "I don't like being confined in small spaces." Her childish voice sounded resentful.

"I know," John frowned, turning from his monitor to her camera, "But if this is indeed a hack, I don't want them finding you. Promise me."

"You promise you won't keep me in here too long?"

John smiled, relieved, "Promise."

He brought up his comm. "Thunderbird Five to Tracy Island, I need you up here. EOS thinks there's something going on with Thunderbird Five. It may potentially be dangerous."

Scott looked worried. John seldom called for assistance, unless... "What's the situation?"

"EOS thinks someone has hacked into Thunderbird Five." Tracy Island immediately erupted in a flurry of surprise and consternation.

Brains announced, "EOS has been sending me d-data. Unfortunately it looks like my safeguards built in the s-software have been b-bypassed."

Scott turned to Alan, "Come on, let's get a move on. I have a bad feeling about this and I want you to help. I'm sorry Virgil, but we need an extra hand just in case."

"FAB!" Alan seemed much too enthusiastic, hopping into his armchair for departure.

John nodded, "I'll be waiting." He shut the comm and began initiating the proper protocols before leaving, ensuring all information was safely stored in the central memory core.

He had barely begun before the gravity wheel suddenly began spinning much too fast for John's liking, sending John to the floor in a heap. "EOS, get yourself into the memory core," he said quietly.

"I want to help."

John shook his head, "Go."

"Fine, I'll see you soon," EOS's camera whizzed to a stop and the lights faded to black, just as the gravity wheel went back to its normal speed.

John ran to the door, typing in his code to open it into the corridor that would take him to the central memory core as quickly as he could. "Scott, Alan," John turned on his comm, "Please hurry up; things are ... escalating.

"We're on our way," Scott confirmed.

John used bar after bar on the wall to maneuver himself down the corridor to where the central memory core was located, the zero gravity naturally making his movements sluggish. He had barely started down the hall when the gravity ring sped back into operation, far too fast. He fell down to the floor harder than he expected, mostly because the gravity was augmented. A sharp pain had begun to radiate from a point in his right wrist. He flexed each finger gingerly, and they did move slowly, though they felt stiff and numb. He then tried to rotate his wrist, but he stopped as a white hot jab of pain raced up his arm. "Not funny," he muttered. He pushed himself to his feet with his left arm, making his way rather slowly down the corridor. The extra gravity weighed heavily on him. His body wasn't used to it.

The wheel stopped again, launching John into the air. He floated for a moment to catch his breath. He grasped the closest handhold to propel himself forwards, but he didn't get the chance. The gravity wheel sped up. John was prepared for the fall this time, twisting himself so that he would land on his shoulder and back, but instead landed hard on his shoulder and front with a crack. He rolled onto his back, gasping for breath. He couldn't feel his right hand at all – probably nerve damage when his wrist broke. He raised a shaky left hand. It hurt awfully, but he could move it. He'd probably broken his collarbone. At least he still could move his left hand, and that was the arm he would use, pain or no. Whoever was doing this to him had a sick sense of humor.

He got up painfully, his left shoulder throbbing as he pushed himself up on his right elbow. Good thing he hadn't much farther to go. The panel that held the central memory core was just ahead.

He stumbled forward, fumbling for the keypad with his good hand. He gritted his teeth against the wave of pain. With a muffled hiss the panel swung open to reveal the nondescript cylinder that was the central memory core. He reached in and, with a click, the cylinder was in his hands. The panel swung back.

The gravity wheel halted once more. John didn't have time to grasp for a handhold and was tossed against a wall head on. He blinked, his vision clearing. An alarm began to sound. John didn't have much time. He yanked open the emergency cabinet (there was one in every room in case of emergency) and put on the suit, finally setting the helmet – painfully – on his head.

All of a sudden, the station began to move. The hacker had gained access to the thrusters. John was flung across the room. His adrenaline was wearing out, and he was overcome with exhaustion. Where was Brains - and Alan - and Virgil? His comm sounded, as if on cue, "Thunderbird Three to Thunderbird Five, you okay, John? Thunderbird Five, do you copy?" Alan. That was all John could muster as he faded into darkness.