Belle's Dreamer

Hello! So this is a modern fairytale short story written for a competition. I do not own the characters, they are loosely based on Peter Pan, but that is about as far as it goes story wise. I really hope you like it :) Let me know your thoughts! (external link to story which features Belle :))

As I lazily woke up, I rolled over, only to come into contact with my best friend Peter's toned chest, and saw he was drooling slightly with his mouth ajar. Bless. That, however, did not deter from his beautiful self, from the messy bed head chestnut brown hair that adorned the top of his head, to his piercing lime green dark eyes full of mystery behind them, to his new morning stubble gracing his jaw line. Yawning, I nudged him slightly to wake him up. We needed to get to school promptly.

‘Go away, Belle,’ he grumbled, pushing me aside. If Peter could stay in his dream land forever, he would. I oftened wondered what went on in that blissful brain of his. 

‘Come on, Pete, you need to wake up. Wake up from your dream land,’ I spoke softly, rousing him from his sleep. I pushed his wavy hair out of his eyes and gently stroked his cheek to wake him up with my cold fingertips.

Groaning, he sat up in his bed and pulled the covers up to his chin.

Now, you make think this is weird, which to most it would be, but we were just friends; friends who happen to share a bed. A double bed, I should add, so there was plenty of room. And even then, we were not alone. Peter’s dog insists on sharing the bed too. Secretly, I knew Peter loved having Arnold there, ever since his parents died two years ago, Arnold had started staying in Peter’s room at night so he wasn’t entirely alone.

I had brought some smart clothes over to Peter’s to keep them in his wardrobe just in case I needed them, which meant today I had the choice of either a black pencil skirt or trousers. The pencil skirt won the debate seeing as the trousers had a good deal of Arnold’s dog hair on them. To match the pencil skirt, I put on a white blouse, which fitted neatly on me, despite needing a few of the top buttons undone to let my body breathe.

Half an hour later, Peter and I strolled along to get to school. Peter, as per usual is away with the fairies as I sat thinking about how to tackle my four younger brothers who I have to look after, after school.

We walked in a comfortable silence, with Peter listening to his iPod as I people watched along the way to school. I casually put my long blonde hair into a messy bun on the top of my head, when I cut it to ask him, ‘You okay, Dreamer?’

Peter looked up, stalled and then softened into a smile. ‘Yeah, sure am.’

I wrinkled my nose and rubbed his back as we walked into school to sign in. It was the typical year twelve madness for the newbies coming into sixth form, something of which Peter and I avoided by going in the side door to the common room. It did however make me feel incredibly old being in year 13.

‘There are some pretty hot girls out there,’ Marley our friend commented, hinting at Peter as soon as we sat down at our table. Peter looked towards me and then looked outside the door.

‘Seen one you like then?’ Peter asked him.

‘Not yet. I saw a few girls eyeing you up as you walked in though.’ This didn’t surprise me. It had become common knowledge Peter was the most sort after boy in the school because while he had the looks, he was also the kindest boy in the year.

Peter blushed slightly, a soft rose colouring his cheeks, ‘We’ll see, Marley.’

‘I better go. I’ll see you both later,’ I said excusing myself from the real boy talk they wanted to talk about. Peter gave my shoulder a quick squeeze, not even needing to look at me before I headed off. He was a bit like an angel on my shoulder, watching over me wherever I went.