Chapter 1

You know there is a thing we can people like you. Well, if we even consider things like you to be people. You are a monster and what is amazing is that out of all of your kind, you are by far the most clover and that is why I hate you so much. He says spitting in my face. Only 5 out of 77 of you have been able to escape the trails while they are in progress and only 2 out of those 5 have made it out of more than one.

Maybe you should make it harder or is that too much for the great Allister. I reply calmly.

You know what little girl, I could have you kill right here and now.

Sure go for it. Not like that will help you. I say trying to stand. The weight of the chains and the many wounds make it impossible.

So you want to stand up do you? He says. Tighten the chains until her feet can no long touch the floor.

As the chains begin to tighten I begin to feel the pain in my ribs from where he kicked me. The pain is intense and I want to cry out but I know that's what he wants. He wants me to cry ask for forgiveness and beg for my life. I cant. I don't have it in me to give up.

Should I take another swing at her ribs or maybe to her knees? He says grinning. You would think that after 23 years of this that she would become submissive but no.

Well you've already broken several of her ribs. So, if you don't want to kill her Id avoid the ribs. As it is now, she wont be able to be put to work for at least a week. A younger guard says. He has short black hair and is obviously a newer guard. He doesn't have the hate in his eyes like the other. The look in his eyes is more sympathetic with a hint of fear. The fear isn't for me, though. By the look in his eyes, I can tell that what the other guard said just added to his anger.

Fine, Ill finish this now. he says. With that he pulls his fist back and strikes me in the face. Now, sedate her and give her another injection.

The injections cause our powers and strength to be weakened and has even cause some of my people to die. They give it to us twice a day. No one will tell us exactly what it is but I do know that I hate it. I hate the smell of it. I hate the way it makes me feel. I hate everything about it.

No, don't touch me. Get away from me. I scream but I don't have enough strength to put up much of a fight. The last thing I remember before I blackout is him turning back around and giving me a devilish grin.

***

Don't move. I just put a wrap around you to help with the pain for your ribs. A familiar voice says as things come into focus. I see my grandpa leaning over me with concern wrote all over his face.

Oh, grandpa stop worrying its not that bad. They've done worse to me. I say trying to get him not to worry but his red eyes tell me he doesn't believe me.

Why don't you learn to submit to them? Haven't they hurt you enough? I cant lose you. You are all I have left.

I cant gramps. Anyways I'm fine. I say trying to sit up but the pain stops me.

They said you have one week before you must work again and start the trials. I know your ribs wont be healed by then, but they wouldn't give you...

Time to go old man. One of the guards interrupts. Time to work.

With that I am left alone again. The cell feels so empty and lonely without him. I wonder if I will ever get out of here. What would I do if I was to get out of here? Where would I go? I've been here for my whole life so I barely know what's outside of this jail/compound. The only glimpse of the outside world I've got is when I escaped the trials.

If it weren't for the higher ups I would either make you go back to work now or Id kill you. Allister says as he unlocks the door. Not again. He's the last person I want to see right, now. I'm in pain, hungry, and tired which is all because of him.

Go away. You had your chance to kill me more than once and you didn't take it. You can only blame yourself.

One of these days I will kill you just you wait. Today, I'm forced to give you a slice of bread. He says gritting his teeth.

Is it poisoned?

I wish. He says as he walks out of the cell and lock it. Today it may not be poisoned but that doesn't mean that tomorrows food wont be.