Chapter 1

"Faster, Joseph," his swim coach yelled. Tyler's head popped out of the water.

"Yes, Coach," the boy said.

His body soared through the water as his muscular, tanned arms came to the surface to propel his body. When he reached the other side, he set his arms on the edge of the pool and ran his fingers through his wet, brown hair.

"Not fast enough, Joseph. We have a meet next week and what you have right now just isn't good enough."

Tyler replied, "Coach, I'm trying all I can. And if that's not good enough for you, you can find someone faster."

The boy stormed out of the pool room and into the boy's locker room. He sat on the bench with a towel wrapped around his waist. He let his head rest in his hands as he just sat.

Tyler got changed and walked with his bag to the music hall. The music hall is where Tyler went to blow off steam after swim practice and since practice was after school, the music room was usually free. As he approached the music room, he could hear a fast beat being played on the drums.

He approached the room quietly in case whoever was drumming stopped. Tyler dropped his bag on the floor in the hall and peeked around the edge of the door frame. Inside the room was a pink haired boy with headphones on, probably drumming along to whatever was playing in his headphones.

Tyler walked up to the front of the drum kit and clasped his hands behind his back. The pink haired boy looked up all of a sudden and stopped playing the beat.

He took out one of his earphones and bit his lip as he looked up at the other boy.

"Hey, uh, do you mind if I go over there and, uh, play the piano," Tyler asked nervously.

"Go for it," the pink haired boy said as he stuck out his hand. "Name's Josh by the way."

Tyler smiled anxiously and replied, "Hey, Josh. And, uh, I'll be over there if you need me."

Tyler started to walk away until Josh lightly grabbed his wrist. "Hey, you never told me your name." Tyler turned around and faced the other boy. "My name's Tyler."

The pink haired boy looked down at the brunette's shoes and replied, "Well, Tyler, I think you're pretty."

Tyler blushed. "Thanks, uh, I have to go." Josh watched the boy as he ran out of the room and bolted down the hallway. Josh followed quickly after the boy and began to lag behind.

"Tyler, please, there's no need to run," he gasped out. Tyler put his hands on his knees as he breathed in and out. He slid down the wall and wrapped his hands around his knees.

Josh scooted over and sat down next to the other boy. "You're a fast one. You do track or something?"

Tyler gulped and shook his head. "No, I swim. But I guess I kinda have to be able to run." Josh looked over to Tyler and asked, "Why did you run from me?"

Tyler buried his face in his knees. "I ran because I was afraid. Fight or flight." Josh looked distressed. "I'm sorry, Ty. You don't have to be afraid of me though." He slid his phone out of his back pocket.

"Here, put your number in here, if you want. I can tell you're not like everyone else. I like that about you."

Tyler tapped in his number and stood up. "I have to go," he said as he walked down the hallway.

The older boy waved Tyler off and smiled as he walked back into the music room.

Tyler walked home with nothing on his mind but the pink haired boy. Josh was so sweet and he hushed Tyler's demons momentarily. He felt nice inside when he was with Josh and they had only met today. Tyler pulled himself together when he reached his front porch.