Careful Not to Lose the Way

This is a collaboration with becausewhenyoupracticeyouimprove for Tumblr's Gratsu Writer X Artist Challenge. All art is by her and used with permission. It's also being posted on Tumblr as a picture book: http://wildrhov.tumblr.com/post/147139656504/lost-in-the-woods

Lucy and Erza looked over a map in the shade of towering oaks

"If we continue along this path, we should reach the end of the woods by tomorrow evening," Lucy declared, pointing out the squiggle on the map.

"I've heard bad stories about these woods," Erza muttered. "People get lost in here. We need to keep to the path."

Lucy shivered. "It's not dangerous, is it?"

"No reports of animal attacks."

"Oh, thank goodness!"

Meanwhile, behind them, Natsu looked around. They had stopped after a few hours walking in the woods. The small lunch they had earlier was starting to hit him. He looked to the girls, but they were focused on the map and figuring out their route. He did not want to bother them.

"Hey, Happy." The Exceed flew up to him, humming questioningly. Natsu dropped his voice. "I really gotta go! Can you hold my bag?"

"Aye!"

Natsu slipped his rucksack off of his shoulders and passed it over. "If they figure it out, go on ahead. I'll catch up with you."

"Are you sure, Natsu?"

"Hey, I can smell you guys. Don't worry."

Happy grinned with confidence. "Aye."

Natsu ran off into the bushes and past dark, ominous trees, plunging in deep enough to find a place to relieve nature.

Gray had been zoning out, leaving the map to Lucy and not caring what Natsu and Happy were up to. Sometimes he felt like he was just tagging along, not really needed. However, as he saw Natsu run off, his brow tensed. He had just overheard Erza talk about people getting lost in the woods. If anyone would be stupid enough to do that, it would be Natsu.