one shot

SUMMARY: a one shot based on the song "Somebody Else" by the 1975 

It was funny how things worked. 

Camila thought of the same summer night a year ago where she was bundled up in sheets, reading her book, listening to her favorite songs by the 1975. It also happened to be one of the favorite bands of the girl right beside her then, the girl who had a dragonfly tattoo, and wore cross necklaces. The girl whose eyes looked like a never-ending vortex into space, whose beauty seemed out of this world. Her name was Lauren. And she was hers. 

They played around whenever they were together, kissing, making out, reading books, reading poetry. Basically everything under the sun. Camila never knew what falling in love felt like, but if she figured that was love, then she never wanted to experience anything ever again. 

The song was fallingforyou and it was theirs. 

That was then. 

Now Camila looked at the wall clock hanging at the wall of her hotel room, which she stayed in alone. Alone. It was a new feeling to Camila, who was used to sharing hotel rooms with her mom, and usually Lauren. But it was different now. 

She closed her eyes, leaning her head on the headboard as she waited for the next song to play on her headphones. She silently cursed when she heard the ever familiar into of the song. Fate was testing her. 

She didn't even have to check her phone to make sure it was the song. The song that reminded her so much of everything she used to have before. 

This was now. The song was Somebody Else, and Camila made it hers. 

--

So I heard you found somebody else

And at first, I thought it was a lie

/

(Flashback - present)

Camila went to their studio home in LA after a long flight from Miami. 

The place was fairly empty since they were supposed to be back two days from then and she was early. She dumped her suitcase at the living room and crashed at the couch. This was the first band commitment they were going to do since the year started. They haven't been in their LA home for a while and it felt strange to Camila, but at the same time it felt like coming home. 

She felt her eyes close after a long and tiring flight, but before it did, she heard a familiar voice break the air. 

"Mani is that you?" It belonged to the Polynesian girl. 

Dinah walked out from the kitchen, wearing her sports bra and denim shorts, holding yogurt in her hands. Her face softened when she saw Camila and she ran to her. 

"Dinah-ow!" Camila sat up as Dinah almost crushed her in her tight hug. 

"Missed you, Walz! What's up?" Dinah's cheerful aura made Camila feel a lot better despite being tired. She told Dinah about how her Christmas vacation went with her family and Dinah told her about many stories involving her many younger siblings. They were both laughing and even Camila admitted she missed her old best friend, and it softened her heart that Dinah still treated her the same despite the fact that she distanced herself from the other girls. 

"Well it's good you came here already. I didn't want to be all alone here." Dinah said, taking a scoop of her yogurt. "I thought Laur would be on the same Miami flight as you."

Camila looked at her hands. She didn't want to talk about the other girl. They didn't end in a nice place last year and it hurt her just to think about it.