Episode Eleven- The Code

The group plugged along through the unfamiliar, forcing themselves to have a semblance of faith in the three strangers at the lead. Their footsteps echoed amongst the crates, the only sound save for a faint murmur shared between Edric and his companions. 

One particularly stand out tapping on the group were those of the heels of Alex's new boots. She grew increasingly aware of how loud she was and tried her best to walk on her toes.

"Why are you walking like that?" Ace questioned.

Alex turned her head ever so slightly. "I sound like an elephant. What if they aren't who they say they are and my crashing noises bring more attention to us?" Her voice lowered to a harsh whisper.

"I think your stupid walk will bring more attention to us. You look like you just shit your pants."

Alex frowned at Ace and straightened her back, returning to a normal walk—loud heel clicks and all.

It felt like they had walked for a mile by the time they crossed the length of the room. A huge corridor took up a generous amount of the wall in front of them. As if on cue, lights turned on down the length of the hall.

The continued stretch of the unknown wasn't as eye-catching as the words printed in large, block letters above the entrance.

'HUMANITY FIRST'.

"Sounds like an introduction to a cult," Ace mused. "Do I have to sacrifice my firstborn child before I can enter?" he added. Ace looked over from the wall to the Keepers beside him. The amusement faded from his expression.

Cicero and Rollo's eyes were wide and mouths agape. They didn't find anything humorous about the situation they'd found themselves in.

"What does it mean?" Alex questioned, drawing her eyes from the letters. "Other than its obvious meaning."

Rollo pried her gaze from the letters, as if they'd hypnotized her in place. She shook her head. "It's the Code," she said.

Alex turned her head so quickly the room rushed around her. "The Code? That's impossible." The Code had dropped off the planet, yet somehow they had just waltzed right into their bunker.

"The Code shut down years ago," Cicero said. Head shaking, he folded his arms tightly across his chest. "Why is that up there?" He turned to Edric, a sudden dark expression taking over his face. A vein appeared on his forehead.

Uh-oh, Alex thought as she took a step closer to Cicero.

He was angry, rightfully so. The Code had abandoned them—left to fend for themselves in the world.

"Calm down, Cicero. They're just words," Alex said, trying to keep him cool.

"Words that had been ingrained in my brain for months while the Code trained me for their own war. Yet, somehow they forgot their soldiers out in the enemy's territory."

"You need to understand the whole situation." Edric turned to face him.

"The whole situation?" Rollo interjected with her own frustrations. "We thought you were all dead, but it seems like you were just out here hiding while we were getting killed off. You were supposed to help us along the way when we left training, but there was nothing except radio silence a couple years later."

Edric pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger, balancing a cigarette at the same time. "As you know, the original founders of the Code worked for the Achilles. They stole their tech and created you all to destroy what they made in the first place. The Achilles and their Patrolmen are the real enemies here. They killed most of us and chased the rest underground. To keep all of you safe, we had to have faith in your training. There are thousands of Keepers and Designations all over the world. It's been a tad difficult to keep track of you all," Edric said with a stern look between them.