One

This day was nothing special, it started like many before it. It was a Tuesday. Jacob knew it was Tuesday because tonight they would eat tacos. He and his brother would sit, heads perched on the back of the couch, soaking in the aroma wafting from the kitchen. While little Nathan had not yet reached the age where he could discern one food from another, he delighted in the act of mimicking his brother. Jacob would watch mother, and Nathan would watch Jacob. But it's not dinnertime yet. This story begins with the two brothers sitting in the back of their mother's car on the way to the city.

Jacob leaned against the door with his head on the window. He gazed wondrously at the clouds, identifying the shapes they made in the sky. His mother hummed along to the song playing on the radio. His brother slept in his car seat. Jacob was at peace despite his head rattling against the glass with every bump.

"What do you see, honey?" His mother asked, glancing at him in the rear view mirror.

"Animals, mostly" Jacob replied, tracing the outline of a newly formed cloud with his gaze. "And airplanes," he added excitedly, catching the glint of a plane jumping in and out of the clouds. Jacob had never been on an airplane before, but had dreams of being able to fly with the birds. He had lived in the same place all his life and even at his relatively young age had dreams of adventure.

Buildings soon replaced Jacob's clear view of the sky. Blue changed to brown and the vastness changed to confined streets. Jacob was still fascinated. There were so many things to look at that he sat up attentively in his seat. He watched as bright yellow taxis weaved in and out of traffic, every single one in a hurry to get to their destination. He counted the number of individuals within the swarms of people on the sidewalks. The hive of activity that was the city had Jacob bewildered. His calmness was a stark island in the frenzy around him. Jacob would eventually find solace in chaos, and seek comfort in the ability to get lost in it. But for now, Jacob was young. Like many children, crowds confused and unsettled him. Were he not sitting safely in his mother's car, he may have found his heart begin race and his mouth begin to go dry.

Jacob nudged his brother awake with a single finger. He wanted Nathan to share in the marvels before them. Nathan opened his eyes groggily, squinting against the sun streaming in the window. He started to fuss until his big brother's face came into focus. He grinned; delighted at the fact that Jacob's face was so close to his. Nathan reached his hand out and hit Jacob in the nose, unaware of the force he had put behind the swing. Jacob was patient.

"That wasn't very nice," he scolded, grabbing Nathan's chubby appendage. Nathan squealed in response, assuming that it was a game. An unseen smile alighted their mother's face as she listened to the commotion in the back seat. The two brothers continued to wrestle, both limited by their restraints but nonetheless enthusiastic.

Their mother searched long for an open parking space. She circled their intended destination multiple times while her oblivious children carried on in the rear of the car. Letting out a soft sigh, she let her vehicle wander down the streets radiating out from the building. While parking further would mean having to carry her toddler a difficult distance, she didn't have the money to secure them a spot any closer.