prolouge

• • •

Irene Holland always dreamed of being different. She wanted to stand out and be confident. To be like the main character in a movie.

Of course she knew it was pointless— that it'd never happen. She knew she was destined to live and die in the small town of Hawkins, Indiana. But she couldn't help herself. She wanted to experience new things and go on adventures.

It was a childish fantasy, one she knew would never come true. In her eyes, her life was already planned out for her. She'd go to a community college, meet someone that at least tolerates her, they'd get married, maybe have some kids, and the cycle would repeat itself. Her kids would dream of the same things she did, but then they'd realize it was futile, and they'd give up just like her.

Irene was distant.

She barely payed attention to those around her.

The one person she relied on most was her sister, Barbra. They were always so close, and even though they seemed to be polar opposites, they depended on each other.

• • •

author's note:
I'm actually a terrible writer (at least in my opinion) so I'm not sure what direction I'm taking this story in. Stranger Things was just so good, and I could barely find any stories about it, so I figured I'd just write my own. I'm pretty slow at writing chapters, but I'll try to write ahead for at least a few chapters.
If anyone actually reads this, comment suggestions for the story??? Since I haven't planned anything, I'm pretty much open to anything.
Should Irene be a year younger than Barb (I think Barb's closer to 16? Maybe a bit older?) or closer to Will's age?
Thanks for reading