Part 1: Chapter 1- A Girl

A sudden jolt and Ada was awake. Her lungs were exploding and she had to grab onto the sides to stop her head from spinning. Sides? She looked around and soaked up the environment- taking in every detail. She was in a box but the more she thought about it, it felt like a metal cage. Her fingers tightened on the wiry prison as she slowly let herself get over her claustrophobic thoughts. This cage was constricting in on her and she didn't like it.

As Ada looked around she saw a few crates and cartons filled with unknown objects. She could even make out a pig squealing in fright, the furthest corner from her. Where the hell was she? What was this? But she couldn't remember anything. Her breath got quicker again as she tried and tried to think of something before she had entered this strange box. Parents, friends, a life? Ada could only remember one thing- her name.

My name is Ada and everything's going to be OK. My name is Ada and everything is going to be OK. My name is Ada and... She repeated the phrase over and over again like a mantra til her breathing consisted of a normal pace. Think Ada, think. She looked around for some escape or help but found none. Clutching a silver pendant she didn't even know she was wearing, letting her fingers thumble over the shiny teardrop shape- she built up the courage inside her. With that, she then started rummaging through the boxes looking for anything that could help her defend herself.

After a few minutes, she pulled out a leather pouch. Opening it up, a row of knives folded out- from big kitchen monsters to small harmless daggers. Ada grabbed one and instantaneously felt a lot safer. Most people would have picked a ginormous piece of metal that looked more like a sword. But not Ada. She picked one medium sized; slick, swift and sharp. Slipping it into her pocket- she waited.

The box soon came to a halt- having reached the end of its journey. The alarm had sounded and the boys from the Glade had circled themselves around to see the new arrival. Every month, no matter what, the gladers always got excited about something new, someone different. It made their boring, laborious lives a little interesting. However, this surprise would top the rest and they would still be talking about until someone new came around the next month.

One of the biggest lads, Gally, lowered himself into the box- a frown deepened across his face. His striking eyebrows furrowed on his forehead with an unfriendly expression- but Ada could not see this. She had laid on the metal floor, eyes closed, appearing unconscious. Her long brown curls splayed all around her with little strands falling through to the darkening abyss below. Gally took all of this in and tried to collect his thoughts that were sprinting around his head. As he surveyed the greenie's feminine features (trying not to stare at the curves) he came to a conclusion.

"It's a girl!" He had risen from his crouched position and thrown his head back to announce the news. "And I think she's passed out!" A commotion could be heard crowding the space above him. You joking Gally? Is she hot? I call dibs! Ada had to use all her self-control to refrain from groaning. The voices above were all deep gruffs- the sounds of young men- and from the glimpse she had just encountered, they seemed like a load of bastards.

"Shut it everyone!" A loud, authoritive voice boomed over the teens' gossip. "What's going on Gally?" Gally, now frustrated with having to repeat himself, answered sharply. "It's a dead girl, Alby." Ada now knew the leaders name. "Okay I'm coming down." With a thump, the third person had entered the box and Ada took the opportunity to survey the two young men out of the bottom of her lids. They were quite similar in build- tall and sturdy- but Ada knew with her element of surprise, she held the advantage. But still; she was patient.

After a good fifth teen minutes- the boys had managed to haul her up to the outside world. Although she may have looked small and delicate, she was a lot heavier than they had anticipated. But there she was; lying seemingly lifelessly on the grass. "Are you sure she just passed out?" A new voice entered Ada's ears as she tried to picture what this character might be. His voice was similar to her own accent (different from all the others she had heard) and seemed a lot softer. That didn't mean Ada would have any mercy though. "Maybe you should check her pulse Gally." Gally, who was kneeling (and recovering) by Ada's right side, gently took hold of her wrist. Ada used this as her opportune moment to strike.

Green eyes now wide open, her right hand yanked on Gally's and pulled him down. With her left hand, she swung with all her might and accurately cracked on his nose, before swinging her body round to position herself behind the victim and lock his neck around her right arm. Pulling his head back (so he was arched in front of her) she pulled the knife out of her pocket and with her left hand- placed the knife across his throat, pressing it into his thick skin.

Ada surveyed the group around her. They were all too shocked to have reacted in anyway but were now on full alert; knees all bent in anticipation. Even though she had one of the group at her mercy- Ada still felt nerves of vulnerability as she was scanned by the male pack. "Woah, take it easy." Alby had taken a step forward, a mistake made by the obvious leader. Ada pulled the knife in tighter and gripped harder- causing a painful whimper from Gally as the knife slit his skin open. "Don't come any closer," Ada's first words commanded, "Or he gets it." Alby and the boy next to him (who Ada assumed was the boy with the different voice) gave each other a look then the other boy crouched down. His hair was blond and shaggy and his features were a lot gentler than some of his fellow friends' jagged looks.

"Hey, I'm Newt." The soft voice/blond haired boy had a name. "We are not going to hurt you promise. There is no reason to defend yourself." He looked up at Alby then back to Ada. She had become a lot more comfortable with the kindest boy at her level. Careful Ada. "Why should I trust you?" Ada was still weary. This situation made her feel very uneasy. Newt sighed before answering her calmly and steadily. "We have all been in your position. Each month a new greenie comes up in the box and join us in the Glade though the are usually male..." Newt trailed off, not sure what to say. Ada pulled a confused face at the strange terminology, and even though it all sounded like bullshit, the way Newt had spoken it made her know he wasn't lying.

"I know it doesn't make much sense." Newt continued, "It doesn't help that you can't remember anything. But don't worry," Newt hastily added, "You'll get your name back soon. That's one thing they let us keep." As blood trickled down Ada's hand and covered the knife she was holding in a thick grime, she spoke loud enough for all to hear;

"Ada. My name is Ada."