Remembering Sunday.

Fanfiction - Short Story

Based on the song Remembering Sunday by All Time Low

Remembering Sunday

“Alex, I know you’re upset-” The soothing voice of Alex’s mother comforted him for a moment, and then he felt nothing but anger, he unplugged the phone and threw it at the wall, tears streaming down his face. He wasn’t quite sure what to do with himself next, he walked around the house, trying to get his mind straight; but in the end he just let it wander. He opened the door to the fridge and pulled out his last bottle of Vodka, he took a swig, and once again he was gone when just the slightest bit of Vodka slithered down his throat. His mind seemed to erase what had happened over the weekend, and it felt like she was back with him.

How could his mum say that he was ‘upset’, it sounded like he was a small kid whose fish had died, but no, he’s a fully grown man who lost his long-term girlfriend, he wondered how he was going to cope without her, she was his everything.

Alex walked down the stairs, his hand stroking the wooden banister. She was sitting on the sofa, her blonde hair flowing down her back, she was leaning slightly forward, her hair draping in front of her face, her face full of concentration, and he sat next to her. Leaning back on the sofa as he watched his girlfriend do the Sudoku, his hand slipped into his pocket, and he felt the nerves come back into his stomach so he stopped himself from asking her there and then.

“Shall we eat breakfast?” He asked, putting a hand around her shoulders and pecking her on the cheek, she smiled up at him, her blue eyes bright as she nodded and stood up, holding out her hand, he took it and they ventured into the kitchen. They cooked together,

“Do the washing up,” ordered Juliet, flicking some water at Alex, he grinned at her and dipped his hand in the lukewarm water and did the same back to her, she giggled and they had a miniature water fight and they almost forgot about the two eggs on the stove.

Alex sat on the sofa and looked around, everything had gone blurry and he racked his brains, wondering when he last was sober, he stood up and struggled to keep his balance as he walked through to the kitchen

“Juliet?” He asked at the doorway, she turned and smiled, and walked over to him

“What’s wrong?” She replied, eyebrows raised “You look like you’ve been crying.” Her hand hovered near his face and he turned away,

“I’m fine,” He said in a voice that he didn’t recognise, it was husky and broken, he blinked and she’d gone again, his heart that was beating at the speed of light just a few moments ago had now slowed down and had gone to mush, she wasn’t really there. How could she be? He put his head in his hands and fell to his knees, trying his hardest not to cry. Lying on the kitchen floor, he drifted into an uneasy, drunken sleep.

Six days had past and he walked outside, not bothering with a coat, hardly caring that it was raining outside, he let the droplets of water run through his hair and down his face, perhaps then nobody would notice the tears.

Neighbours stopped as he passed to look at him

“Are you okay?” Asked one, she looked concerned and the little boy holding her hand moved closer to his mummy, watching Alex hesitantly, Alex nodded subconsciously and stood outside her old apartment, the one she lived in just before they’d decided to move in together, he felt her old keys in his pocket and he let himself into the block and the memories came flooding back, and a sense of sadness overwhelmed him as he sat on the old stairs that led up to the apartments themselves

“I remember this.” He muttered to himself, and let himself slip into a daydream.

“It’s  so cold,” Juliet moaned as they walked down the road that led to her apartment block, Alex nodded in agreement, looking down at her and smiling to himself. He put his hand in hers, entwining their fingers. She pulled him into the building, giving him a swift peck on the lips. They smiled at each other for a moment, before she gripped back onto his hand, which she’d let go to let them in the block, and ran up the stairs with Alex being dragged behind her, struggling to keep up with her and fully concentrating on not tripping over.