chapter 1.

I woke up to an ear piercing shriek. I lay there, frozen. Not knowing what to do. I didnt have a clue if the noise was indoors or outside. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.I looked at my clock on the bedside table and it said it was 3:00 in the morning. I sighed and slowly got out of bed. Gripping the knife, that i got from my drawer, as tight as i could. It was only a butter knife, but somehow it comforted me.

I stepped out of my bedroom and into the landing. I couldnt see anything as it was pitch black. So i inched closer quietly towards my light. I felt around the walls and flicked on the switch. Light consumed the area around me. I bit my lip as i heard a crash down the stairs.
"Definately inside." i thought to myself. I slowly tried to quietly go down the stairs. I mentally scolded myself for having a spiral staircase. Not useful for the dark.

I tried to ignore the adrenaline that made my heart beat faster. I finally decided i done my best to control my heartbeat and got to the bottom step. Whoever the intruder was, i made a small bet to myself that they can hear my heart beat. I held my breath as i looked around my living room to see any sign of movement. I eventually concluded that there was no one in there and flicked on the light. I sighed in relief when i saw that nothing has happened.
"Ok. One more room left." i whispered to myself.

I froze as i heard a groan. Such a familier groan it almost hurt to think of who it was. Alex. I didnt think anymore and ran into the kitchen. I suddenly stopped as i saw such a horrid scene. I lost my breath and i swear my heart skipped a beat. I crashed to the floor in agony as all i could think about was the scene. The person who was on the floor, my brother, was laying there. Crumpled, and i was just staring at him like ive seen a ghost.
"Alex!" i half whispered, half cried. He didnt respond. I let out a loud sob and decided to find the nearest phone. I picked one out of my pocket and rang 999.

"Hello, which emergency service would you require?" a womens voice asked after two rings.
"H-hospital" i sobbed.
"Im sorry ma'am. I didnt quite hear you. Could you repeat louder?" she asked. I wanted to throw my phone across the room but decided that wouldnt be a good idea. I calmed myself and spoke.
"Hospital please." i whispered.
"Ok, stay on the phone while i pass you on." she spoke. I waited while i heard a few clicks.
"Hello, what is your eme-" a man started to ask.
"MY BROTHER IS ON THE FLOOR ALMOST DEAD AND YOUR SPEAKING SO FREAKING SLOW, IM GONNA HAVE A HEART ATTACK MYSELF!!" I cut him off with a scream.
"O-ok. Ma'am. You need to calm down. This isnt going to help your brothers condition. What is your address and we'll send an ambulance?"he asked. Sounding quite shocked from my tone.
"58 Roberts avenue. RA6 FQU." i replied, more content now.
"It'll be there in 5 minutes." he said. I hung up quickly and decided to look up. That wasnt a good idea.

The scene was terrible. But i had to get every detail. The walls, which were normally white, are now red and blotchy. There was glass stuck on the floor in all different angles. Its a bad thing that we have white tiled flooring as well. That just makes the scene worse with puddles of dark red liquid floating around everywhere. I took a deep breath as i looked alex over. I saw he had two black eyes, one swollen lip and his body covered in stab wounds. I knew that he had enimies. But none of them were brave enough to even punch somebody, let alone do this.

I jumped as there was a knock on my door. I somehow found the strength to get up and answer it. As soon as the door opened. People in neon green jackets rushed into the kitchen. They didnt even have to ask where he was. They probably smelt the blood. I crept inside the kitchen to see what they was doing. I started crying as there was an oxygen mask on his face and they was picking him up to put him on a stretcher. I moved out the way as they rushed out the door with him. I followed, locking the door quickly. I didnt care that i was in my pyjamas. I got in the van and buckled up.

I started to focus on my breath. I felt a tear fall down my face. I closed my eyes and breathed in. Calming myself down. I opened my eyes and breathed out. I looked at alex and picked up his hand. I could see his chest rising and dropping, which was a good sign. You never know though, something could faulter.

We arrived at the hospital and i followed the paramedics to A&E. They passed alex over to some nurses and went into a room. I wasnt aloud in, so i sat down in the waiting room and trying to re-think the things that happened in the past hour. This was the worst thing that has happened to me ever. I look down and sigh.

I have sat here for an hour now and still no information on alex. I start to get impatient. I get up to go to the receptionist and see a nurse go into alex's room. I run up to her and tap her shoulder. She turns around to look at me.
"Erm... Hi. Im sky. Alex's sister. Could i have an update on how he is please?" i asked her. She looked sympathetic and blinked.
"Sorry to say, hes not very stable. I was going to ask you actually if... Anything does happen. We would have your consent on giving him resussitation?" she asked. I flinched at what she just asked.
"Err.... Erm.... No. Thank you. He wouldnt want this. But... Can i see him please?" i asked hopefully.
"Err... Sure." she replied and let me in.

I walk in and gasp at the state he is in. I walk up to him and sit down in the seat next to the bed. I stare at him for a few minutes and perk up as his finger moves a little. I stand up instantly and watch his eyes flicker open.
"oh! Alex! Please, say something?" I say in delight.
"S-sky... I-" he mumbles something else and closes his eyes again.
"A-alex..." I ask with tears around my eyes. I look at the monitor and feel the world crashing around me as it stops. I look at him and just hug him. Crying into his pale chest. I would never forget this moment.... Ever.