Ch•4- Strings

I covered my ears with my fingers, cringing at the sudden high-pitched noise. The sound vibrated around the living room, sending shivers down my spine. Everyone was on their feet in an instant once the piercing noise ceased and the low, mechanical voice started "Worthy?" It asked. I darted my eyes around the room, trying to find the source.

There it was. He was sloppily trudging into the living room. The sound of its metal feet clanked loudly on the hard marble floor.
One of Dad's tattered Iron Legion suits, still busted up from the mission in Sokovia. Sparks sprang out from its wires whenever it moved.
"No. How could you be worthy?" It asked, raising up its arms slightly. Wires hung down from its limbs "You're all killers"

"Dad" I whispered from across the coffee table and looked over to him, almost angry because of this. He obviously knows what this thing is, I can see it all over his face, and he hasn't bothered to tell us.

He stood closest to the wild suit. I was right next to Steve at the back of the group.

"Jarvis" Dad pulled out his holographic phone and tried to contact Jarvis. He can shut this thing down.

"I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or I was a-dream..."

"Reboot Legionnaire OS. We got a buggy suit"

"There was this terrible noise. And I was tangled in... in... Strings" It examined the wires all loosely connected to its body.

Thor held his hammer a little higher, preparing to attack if need be. I knew that something was wrong. That gut feeling told me early today. I inched closer to Steve, feeling slightly nervous. This suit was particularly creepy looking. The face was all banged up, sparks flew from the limbs, the white chest repulser blinked on and off.

"I had to kill the other guy.. He was a good guy"

"You killed someone?" Steve asked without hesitation.

"Wouldn't have been my first call" It answered quickly "But, down in the real world, we're faced with ugly choices"

"Who sent you?" Thor asked.

"I see a suit of armor around the world" A familiar recorded voice from the suit played for all of us to hear. I looked over to my Father who grew slightly pale in the face. The recorded voice was his voice, he created this suit himself.

      "Ultron" Bruce said with surprise. I glanced over to him. He obviously knew who this was as well. Who is Ultron?

"In the flesh. Or, no, not yet. Not this chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on mission"

"What mission?" Nat stared at the metal man.

"Peace in our time"

That's when the half dozen of Iron Legion suits busted through the living room walls and flew straight for us. I jumped back in fright as Steve kicked the coffee table up to block one of the suits that was coming right at the two of us. It rammed against the table, causing the table to fly back and hit Steve and I.

We were both sent tumbling back on to the floor. I slid to a halt, not knowing what to do. Dad and Rhdoey were both blown in opposite directions across the room. Nat was tossed over the alcohol bar with Banner. Thor was busy whacking one of them with his hammer. I jumped to my feet, spotting the nearest one. It was by Maria who was firing at it with her hand gun. I didn't have any weapons, or much muscle, but I'm good at winging things.

I propelled myself from the cushion of the couch and wrapped my arms around the suit's iron shoulders. Maria stopped firing for a moment and let me work my magic. I've been around these Iron Man suits long enough to know where the main control wires are, so all I had to do was locate that. I yanked out all the exposed wires as it tried to shake me off, in seconds I shut down all the repulsers. It was now a suit without any fire power.

We both fell to the ground because of its loss of flight power. I landed on it with a thud, not wasting anytime with smashing its already damaged face. Marie tossed me her gun and I used the handle to bust open the face plate until it completely shut down.

"Thanks" I breathed, tossing her back the gun.

Her eyes widened for a moment before she pointed behind me "The Scepter!" I spun around, immediately spotting Loki's scepter in one of the Suits hands. It was flying right for the window to make a getaway.

"Oh great" I groaned, springing to my feet and running after the thing. I ran away from the couches and towards the suit as it flew over my head. I leaped, barely managing to grasp the ankle of the suit. It looked down to me, aiming its glowing repulser "No you don't" I gripped its wrist tight, using all my might to try and rip it off. I tried to grab the spear but the suit flew up towards the ceiling near the large windows.

I dangled in the air for a moment before the suit chucked me out the window. Yes, actual chuckage. My body hit the window and smashed through. I landed on the terrace and slid to the edge. I gripped the sides of the terrace as my body slipped over. The only thing keeping me on the tower was my finger nails.

I screamed, looking down to the bright city. Nothing but pavement and cars were below me. My feet kicked in the air as I tried to hoist myself up to the terrace "Help me!" I cried.
The suit had taken off into the night air, long gone, and it had the scepter with it. My sweaty fingers were slipping, I could feel them about to give away "Or you know, don't help me... That's cool too, guys!"

And then I fell, for the second time in my life.

Déjà vu.

This time there was no ball of fire beneath me, and I don't have Mandarin powers. It's just little old me about to die.

What a way to go out, amirite?

There was a 99.91% chance that I was going to die. The other 0.09% happened to involve Thor. I felt my body stop in midair, and then started to rise again. I opened my eyes to see Thor flying up towards the terrace using his hammer. Oh my God I love this God so much.

I gripped his arm tight as he set my back down on the top, I still didn't let go of him "That was uh, that was pretty terrifying" I admitted breathlessly, shakily placing my hands on my knees. Thor patted my shoulder quickly, We the. hurried back into the tower. The fighting had settled down now, all of the suits had demolished, except for one "That was dramatic" The suit spoke with a hint of sarcasm present in his bionic voice.

My breath was ragged from my near death experience, and I felt light headed. I really need my glasses back because my vision was also slightly blurry now "I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to... evolve? With these? These puppets. There's only one path to peace" I leaned against the arm rest of the couch, completely drained "The Avengers' extinction" it finished just as Thor threw his hammer at the suit, breaking it into several pieces. I slowly collapsed to the floor and leaned my back against the side of the couch

"I had strings... but now I'm free" the suit sang softly "There are no strings on me..." Now that song was in my mind, and forever in my nightmares.

Everyone stood around for a moment, processing everything that had just transpired.
I brought my knees up to my chest, feeling my body tremble.

"Jessi, you good?" Clint bent down beside me. Dad was there in a flash, practically shoving Clint to the side.

"Oh my God, I... I have no idea what that was- I didn't mean... Are you okay?" He checked my face and arms for injuries. I was fine, kinda. Nothing but a couple scratches from the glass, also a large bruise from when the suit threw a table at me.

I nodded my head fast "I'm fine" I said shakily, taking my Fathers hand "I'm okay. I'm okay... I'm okay"