Late Nights

• Dedicated to Erin O'Callaghan

~ Description ~

Gilbert is working late at a patients house call and Anne is home alone. She wakes up and starts feeling sick.

A/N: This is my first fan fiction and I hope for some constructive criticism from you fine folks out there. I know that Anne of Green Gables fan fiction isn't very widely read anymore but if you do still enjoy these types of stories, then you're at the right place. One-shot.

Enjoy.

~

Anne stirred gently under the warm covers on her bed. She had Gilbert's pillow in her arms and her face pressed into it. Her eyes fluttered open and she felt a wave of nausea wash over her. Anne made a quick dash for the bathroom and she knelt down in front of the toilet. After sitting there for fifteen minutes, the nausea had subsided and she slowly made her way over to the stairs, deciding she would get some water. As Anne approached the top of the stairs, she stumbled and reached for the railing. The room was spinning and everything was blurry. Anne could feel herself swaying and her hand slipped from the railing as she lost her footing and tumbled down the stairs.

~

Gilbert had just finished delivering a set of McAllister twins and after twelve hours of monitoring, Mrs. McAllister being in labour, and delivery, Gilbert was exhausted. He sat at the kitchen table with his head in his hands. The doctor that worked alongside him, Dr. John, had just stepped out of the room and joined Gilbert at the table.

"I can monitor them for the rest of the time. You should go home and get some rest." Dr. John laid a comforting hand on Gil's shoulder.

"No, I can't do that-"

Dr. John interrupted him. "Gilbert, I've been doing this for sixty-seven years now. I know this procedure like the back of my hand. And look at you boy, you're exhausted. You need to go home to that wife of yours and sleep."

"Sir, I'm really fine. I can stay. It's just been a long day." He looked down at his clasped hands.

"Son, go on home. I know you're tired and this procedure is almost over. I can handle it. You go and have a good night's sleep." Dr. John said firmly.

Gilbert stood up and smiled weakly. He firmly shook Dr. John's hand. "It's been a pleasure working with you, sir. Thank you for your kindness. Goodnight."

"No, no. Thank you. You take care!" He said as he walked back to the bedroom.

Gilbert smiled and shrugged his coat on. Grabbing his bag, he put on his hat and walked out the door. The wind whistled as he climbed into his car. Gil started the car and began his drive home. He felt an uneasy feeling creep up inside him. Shaking his head, he focused on the road ahead and kept driving.

~

Anne had tried multiple times to sit up but every time she tried, a sharp stabbing pain shot up her spine and she finally gave up and stay lying down on the floor. The pain in her back just grew more painful every minute. Her face was stained with tears and she was scared, alone, and didn't know what to do. The worst part was that she couldn't even lift herself a few inched off the ground without pain. Anne's tears flowed freely down her face as she lie there. Praying, that Gilbert would get home soon.

~

Gilbert pulled up to the house and made his way over to the door. As he quietly stepped inside he noticed the quiet sobs.

"Gil..." Anne struggled.

He flicked on the lamps. "Anne... Anne, what happened?"

He ran over to her and knelt down beside her. Tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear, he took off his coat and threw it onto a nearby chair.