Chapter 20: The End of Us

A/N TEAM USA IS LITTTTTTT ESPECIALLY MY GIRL SIMONE SHE LIT

Riley's POV

Waking up without seeing my favorite pair of blue eyes was complete torture.

I got out of bed, slipping my feet into my favorite pair of purple slippers. I made my way downstairs, where Mom was making breakfast while Dad and Auggie were waiting to eat at the table. "Morning, honey," Mom said, not turning her attention away from what she was cooking. "Morning," I muttered, taking a seat at the dining table. A minute later, Mom put three pancakes and a circle of sausage on my plate. I applied butter and syrup on my pancakes and began to eat it.

Lying for Maya's benefit was getting harder and harder every day. I was tired of it, but I didn't want her to get in trouble. My mom and dad still thought Maya was sick at Isadora's house, but I knew they would start getting suspicious. After eating, I quickly headed over to my room. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, and got dressed in a red shirt and navy blue overalls. I slipped my feet in black Converse, grabbed my backpack, and went out the window.

...

As I made my way to my locker, I saw a familiar face standing by Isadora. Maya. I stopped myself from walking over to her and grabbed the books I needed from my locker. I closed it quietly. Isadora walked over to me. "Izzy, I'm freaking out here! I told my dad that Maya was still sick at your house, but now she's here! And I can't tell her anything because she said she wanted to take a break and....." "Riley, breathe. Calm down. I always have a plan," Isadora interrupted me. I nodded, still feeling panicked.

In history class, Dad gave Maya a suspicious glare. "I thought you were sick, Maya," he said. Isadora quickly said after, "Maya is sick, but she's feeling a little better today. She'll be back at your house before you know it." I rolled my eyes to myself, surprised how Isadora could lie so easily. Eventually, everyone else arrived in the classroom. Dad started his lesson when everyone was settled. "Today we will be learning about stress. It happens to all of us, and happened to people in history, too. For example, back in the 1950s, people believed Russians were going to bomb us and they were stressed and anxious about. Also, imagine how the Founding Fathers felt when they were writing the Constitution. They had to make sure no one stole their ideas and worked all night to get it done. If your stress is severe, you should take a break from whatever you're doing. Don't overdo yourself," he explained. My hand shot up in the air. Everyone, including myself, was surprised about my sudden hand raise. "Yes, Riley?" Dad asked me. I gulped, not sure on what to say. "What if you are the person who is causing someone stress and pain? What if they want to take a break from you? How do you react the right way?" I muttered, looking down at my lap. I could sense that Maya was staring at me, so I didn't look up.

"You should let them be their own company for a while. Sometimes it's stressful to always think only about someone else and not think about yourself," he said before continuing on with his lesson. I thought over about what Dad said, trying to compare it with Maya and I's situation. Am I making her not think about her own well being? The bell rang, indicating that class was over. I grabbed my backpack and headed out of the classroom. Farkle was lingering by my locker for reason, talking to a girl. I haven't spoken to him in what felt like a million years. I used to go to him when I felt like I crashing my ship.

With courage, I walked over to Farkle. He rolled his eyes once he saw me, "What do you want, Riley?" He asked, crossing his arms. The girl rolled her eyes as well before looking down at her phone, interested in whatever was on the screen. "I....I need to talk to you," I said before grabbing his arm and dragging him to the school's mini bay window. Farkle groaned, obviously annoyed. "Farkle, I need you, ok? You used to be the person I could always rely on when I need you. Now you're not anymore. You disappeared. I need someone to talk to. Maya and Lucas aren't options anymore," I quickly said. I knew Farkle wouldn't budge. Once people change, they don't always change back. And I thought change was good. Farkle didn't say anything for a while. This was a waste of time. I stood up and started to walk away until something pulled me back. Farkle's hand latched onto my arm. "Fine. I'll listen to you," he relented, his shoulders slumped. A smile spread across my face, but it quickly faded away. I didn't trust Farkle as much as I used to, so I didn't want to tell him too much about my situation with Maya.