Persistent life

The horde of people surrounded Paridhi as she plastered a fake smile on her face, a smile that didn't reach her eyes.. She should have been happy today, in fact the happiest.. But the emptiness in her heart was too much to ignore.. It left her hollow inside, so hollow that no happiness could ever fill it..

It was the day UPSC results had to be announced.. While all students were waiting with a baited breath with hopes and fear, Paridhi was completely nonchalant about it.. It didn't matter to her if she would make it or not.. Not that she hadn't studied for it.. In fact she had worked so hard for it that her day started with the books and ended with the same.. But this hard work had been a refuge for her wounded heart.. It was a distraction for her mind so that it couldn't go back to the memories she had buried deep inside her heart..

The results were finally announced to welcome a wave of merriment in Paridhi's house.. To her surprise, she had topped the exam all over India and her parents were gushing about it. And now, the house was filled with all the people of her locality, relatives and even mere acquaintances who came to congratulate her.. Even the phone didn't seem to stop ringing today bringing in all the wishes for her..

While her parents were happily receiving all the guests, taking in thousands of congratulations, Paridhi was sitting aloof, lost in her own world.. She would give a small smile to everyone around but her eyes were missing the shine.. Having had enough of the attention, she walked back to her room where she noticed her phone ringing, lying on the bed.. She picked up the phone but the name flashing on the screen froze her.. She kept staring at the screen and soon the rings died within the defeaning silence of her room..

"10 missed calls- Ananya"
Paridhi read the notification and the name took her back to all the memories she was trying hard to forget since last one year..

Ananya- The name itself was equivalent to friendship for Paridhi once but now it left a bitter taste in her mouth.. Ananya and Paridhi had been the bestest of friends since childhood.. It was the first day of school when little Paridhi studying in second grade came across one of her classmates who was crying incoherently.. On asking the reason, she had come to know that the girl was new to the town and obviously to the school as well and that she didn't have any friends here.. On hearing this, Paridhi had very innocently extended her hand of friendship to the little girl who was none other than Ananya. And since then had started a beautiful relationship that was unbreakable until life took its own turn..

Paridhi and Ananya were not just friends, they were soul sisters.. You dare mess with one and the other would eat you raw. From sharing their lunch to sharing their hearts, their friendship was one of a kind.. Even their families were well aware of their friendship and even felt proud of the bond they shared.. No matter how weak they were individually, together they defined strength.. But who knew that the twelve years long friendship wouldn't be able to stand even a weak storm..

College- It is like a whole new world that promises life time experiences.. College life is said to be the most beautiful phase of a person's life, but sometimes it might just turn out to be a nightmare.. Ananya and Paridhi together passed their high school with flying colours.. Paridhi, acting on her interest, decided to take up policitical science as her course subject as she always aspired to be an IAS officer.. Ananya particularly didn't have any ambition or interest, so she opted for the same subject as that would ensure her best friend being with her.. Together, they took admission in one of the most prestigious colleges of Delhi. The college had double M criteria for admissions, that is, money or merit. Ananya and Paridhi, both having belonged to middle class families, were obviously admitted on the merit basis..

Their friendship didn't change through the first year of their college.. They were always seen together. Even within this alien world of rich spoilt brats, they had their own little world. It was during the second year of their college that the college president elections were held up. Ananya wished to stand up for these elections and Paridhi, being a true friend, stood by her side. From campaigning for her friend to cover up for her missed studies, Paridhi didn't leave a single stone unturned for her friend's success. She even put all of the money she had saved in this campaign.. And while Ananya tried to resist, she shrugged it off by saying, "Meri khushi kya teri khushi se alag hai aur khushi ki koi keemat nai hoti pagal."

When Ananya won the elections, it seemed like it was Paridhi who had won it. She was so happy for her friend and even Ananya addressed her owing her success to Paridhi while giving her winning speech.. Such was their friendship, pure and unbreakable. After Ananya became the president, her most of the time went within the college activities. And as usual, Paridhi took care of her studies, writing notes for her and even preparing her assignments.. With this new tag of college president, Ananya even attracted the rich crowd of the college that was once ignorant of her presence..

Being friends with the college president could garner a lots of benefits, so once an invisible Ananya suddenly turned popular.. She made new friends and even introduced Paridhi with them.. Paridhi, though never liked these mean and selfish people, stayed quiet for Ananya's sake.. She tried to warn Ananya once or twice, but the latter was too attracted to all the luxuries these people offered her in return of the advantages they enjoyed being her friends.. They would give her expensive and branded gifts that she could never afford otherwise. She was lost in her new found friendship that she even started taking Paridhi for granted, asking her to make notes for her while she was bunking classes and hanging out with her so called friends..

This turned off Paridhi and she started distancing herself from her. Ananya could very well see her best friend drifting apart from her, but she wasn't yet ready to give up on her new life style.. It was Ananya's birthday and keeping aside all the differences, Paridhi decided to sort things out with Ananya.. She wished her and got her a new watch with her hard saved earnings she got from tutoring school kids... But Paridhi's priceless gift got lost within the expensive gifts Ananya received from her rich friends.. As per their ritual, Paridhi waited for Ananya at her home in the evening so that they could cut Ananya's birthday cake baked by her.. But Ananya was so busy partying with her friends, that she never turned up.. She even didn't remember this years long practice..

That night, Paridhi cried for the very first time. She mourned over the loss of a friendship that died premature.. There on, these two friends became like strangers. But even the last bit of hope died when Paridhi saw a whole new Ananya in front of her, the one she couldn't recognize.. It was one of the usual days when Ananya was sitting with her friends in the canteen.. While serving their order, the old waiter dropped one of the dishes spoiling the shoes of Rohit, one of Ananya's friends.. Acting out of habit, Rohit started insulting the old man, demanding him to clean his branded shoes.. While he was yelling at the old man, the whole canteen was a mute spectator..

Paridhi, who was sitting just a table away, expected Ananya to take a stand for the old man, who was almost their father's age.. Being the college president, Ananya had the authority to shut Rohit up, but she never spoke a word.. Angry and disappointed, Paridhi took a stand for him, but in turn Rohit humiliated her, calling mean words to her.. Paridhi looked at Ananya with teary eyes, in a hope that she would favor her, but Ananya never met her gaze.. Instead, she went away with her group. This was the final nail in the coffin and Paridhi knew she had lost her friend forever..

Soon the college ended and Paridhi took up to work towards her aim while along with the president tag, Ananya lost her friends too. She regretted for her actions and tried to seek forgiveness many times, but Paridhi never acknowledged her. She was too hurt to let it go. But this was why the pain never left her. Paridhi was dragged out of her memories by ringing of her phone, she saw it was Ananya calling again. Taking in a deep breath, she finally received the call with lots of courage..

"Congratulations Pari.." Ananya's soft voice came across the phone and Paridhi's lips unintentionally curved into a smile..

Reliving the memories had even brought the flashes of good times along with the painful ones and had given Paridhi the courage to confront Ananya.. A simple wish from her side and Paridhi had that shine in her eyes. She felt the happiness. Maybe, their friendship still had to live it's life...