Royal Blue

I feel so cold

Like I'm wrapped in a blanket of ice that keeps getting heavier with more layers. Like its pulling me into a never ending darkness.

I can't feel anything but cold.

Why do I feel like this?

Where am I sinking to?

I feel so numb.

How did I get myself into this situation?

I know I'm sinking...

But where to?

I feel like I should be freaking out right now, but I can't help but feel peaceful. Like all of my worries are slowly drifting away the deeper I sink.

I smile at that thought.

I can feel myself continue to sink. Deeper and deeper into a black hole of emptiness.

How long have I been here? Shouldn't I hit some type of bottom soon?

I dare not open my eyes. I like the peace I have right now, and I'm afraid that if I look...it'll all vanish.

My peace,

My quiet,

My numbness,

My happiness,

All gone if make a move.

"Open your eyes, Cassandra" a very weak voice inside of my head whispered.

"But I'm happy" I replied.

A voice inside my head...why doesn't that freak me out?

"You're not happy, you're drowning. Let your body move and swim to the top."

Swim.

Swim to the...top..?

I'm in water.

My eyes shoot open

I'm drowning.

I immediately start freaking out, flailing my arms around like a madman. I know better than to breathe or else water will quickly fill my lungs.

"Calm yourself, child." The voice whispers.

So I did as the voice said.

I stopped moving, looked up and I saw the sun glistening though the water. I began clawing my way up, slowly but surely making my way up. I feel so tired though, I need sleep.

My eyes slowly start to close when the weak voice reappears.

"Don't you dare fall asleep. Get to safety first, to nice, dry land,.then we can rest for as long as you want. Just don't give up. Fight for your life, Cassandra." The voice whispers, then disappears back into my head.

I do as she says, a sudden confidence washing over me.

Her words "Don't give up. Fight for.your life." Repeating in my head.

My eyes shoot wide open and I swim. The sun begins to be more visible, the water, thinner and thinner the higher I get.

The once peacefulness I got from the freezing water is now giving mt a painful headache. The numbness is now nothing but am irritable feeling to my skin.

I need to get out of here.

I'm so close to the top, I know it.

My arms begin to burn and ache from swimming.