prologue

"No please let me go, I'll be alright". I stepped back from the door and grabbed my suitcases. I started to walk forwards again before a hand grabbed my shoulder.

"I don't want you to leave me Sky". My mother released my shoulder as she spoke. The room was silent other than the shaky breaths being put out by her.

"Mom please let me go, im 20 now, I'll be just fine". I found it slightly ridiculous my mother wouldn't let me go. I met her eyes as she slowly nodded.

"Okay?" I whispered. I stepped away from her and examined her face. A few tears rolled down her cheek before she confirmed that I can go.

"I love you, please be careful". I brought my thumb to her cheek, getting rid of the tears. "I love you too, don't worry I'll be back soon. I promise I'll call you when I get there". And with one last hug, I left.

About 13 hours later I'm standing on the sidewalks of Japan. I looked around the place my parter, who was assigned to me for this trip. I felt a buzz from my phone, I looked down at it to see a message with a location attached. It's only about .4 miles away from where I'm was standing.

"Hi, Skylar, I'm Josh". A taller man with brown hair spoke down to me. I take his hand, shaking it. "Yes, hi Joshua". I said whilst nodding my head and smiling.

This was finally it. I was finally in Japan after a year of saving up and begging my mom. I was supposed to be here for 6 Monthsto study the culture. I wanted to be a Cultural Anthropologist and to get into the college i wanted I needed to create profile of a culture out of North America. That meant I needed to go to a different country and study their culture and live among them for half a year