crash and burn

Dedicated to book-of-Charlie for the masses of help she's given me on this story.

"Seriously, Sam, how did you manage to leave shoes behind?" Jess repeated, laughing.
"You are so lucky Sarah's boyfriend is in your old dorm"

Sam grinned at the girl beside him. His friend, Berny, had introduced them a few weeks ago and he was really starting to like her.

"I know, I know, but in my defence, they weren't the shoes I was wearing. I had another pair that I remembered to bring, like, on my feet"

"Still...." she said with another giggle.

"I know, I know. Thank you for bringing them"

"You are so lucky I like you"

"I know. What would I do without you?"

"Crash and burn"

***

"Thank you so much, what would I do without you?!" Sam exclapimed as the girl handed him the essay he had left in the library.

She giggled. "Crash and burn, obviously"

He laughed. "True, true. I've lost count of the amount of times you've saved my ass"

"Probably at least fifty"

"More, definitely."

"You're probably right"

***

"Hey....uh....Jess? Can I....uh...ask you something?"

"Yeah, course"

"Willyou...uh...willyougooutwithme?" He said, almost unintelligibly.

She looked confused for a second and he awkwardly opened his mouth to repeat himself, but something clicked and she broke into a grin.

"Of course I will, you idiot"

He looked completely shocked at her saying yes.

"Although seriously, speak slower in future. I had no idea what you were saying"

"Oh...uh....okay?"

She laughed. "You're adorable"

"Uh...thanks? Is that a good thing? I think it is but you can't be -"

"Hush, it is a good thing" she said, cutting him off with a finger to his lips and a giggle.

"What would I do without you?" He said, lips spreading into a wide smile.

"Crash and burn"

***

"Today was really nice, thank you" Jess said with a beautiful smile.

"No, it wasn't. They messed up our reservation and when we finally did get a table, the food was crap"

"It was, wasn't it" she said with a little laugh.

"I am really sorry, Jess, that was a terrible first date"

"I wouldn't say that. The food was shit but the company was amazing" she said with a grin. "Although i do expect you to up the standard a bit next time"

Sam looked up in shock, having been convinced that the failure of the date would have ruined his chances with her.

"Next - oh, what would i do without you, Jess?"

"Crash and burn"

***

"Hey, Jess?" Sam said as soon as she picked up the phone.