X

The night was still. No wind shook the trees and no cars littered the streets, it was a strange sight for the city of Winchester, England, even if it was one in the morning.

The silhouette of a small girl could be seen from underneath a flickering streetlight.

She had no place to call home and she had no name to seperate her from the rest.

Her small feet made clicking noises as she walked down the quiet street.

She had to find somewhere to stay, she didn't want to go back to that place.

She wasn't a normal orphan, she had cat ears that laid flat on her head and a tail that she had wrapped around her abdomen in a desperate attempt to stay warm.

Her golden eyes were narrowed to slits as she saw a small boy run across the street to a gas station.

He was about her age, with red hair and a pair of green goggles over his eyes.

He was alone, no parents to be seen. She assumed he was an orphan too.

She continued walking, past the gas station and into the woods. She came across a dirt path and began to follow it.

"Hey you!"

She let out a high-pitched yip and tripped, landing on her face.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!"

She got up, dusting herself off. She turned around to find the boy that had startled her. It was the same boy from earlier.

"Hi, I'm Matt!" He said, holding out his hand with a warm smile on his face.

She shook his hand.

"What's your name?" He asked.

She remained silent.

"Um, what are you doing out here?" He asked.

No answer.

"Are you an orphan?" He tried again.

She nodded.

"Are you a mute?"

She shook her head, no.

He nodded, smiling at her. "Come with me to my home." He held out his hand for her.

She hesitated before grabbing his hand.

He lead her along the dirt path, both of them silent.

As they made their way further into the forest, a dim light could be seen in the distance.

She looked up to see a large set of gates with the words "Wammy's House" on the top. Behind the gates was a large house that looked like an orphanage.

She stopped, surprising Matt. He looked at her, confused. "What's wrong?" He asked.

She looked at him, not saying anything.

"Right..." He looked back at her before smiling and pulling her along with him. "Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you."

She nodded, swallowing her fear, before following him to the large gate.

"I'm going to be in so much trouble." He muttered, turning to her. "Hey, did you always have those?" He asked pointing to her ears.

She nodded, uncurling her tail.

"Oh, cool." He pet her head, earning a pur from her, making him smile.

"Cover your ears," He said. She did as she was told and he walk forward, placing a hand on the gates. As soon as he touched the gates, a loud alarm rang through the air.