One

Nightingale Phillips

"Ouch! Why would you do that!" I screeched at my best friend who was still looking at me with a serious expression splashed on to her dark face.
"Did you not feel the sting of that big ass mosquito?" she asked in a 'duh' tone.

I could feel my painted red lips forming into a pained pout.

"Did you have to hit me so hard Tamara?" I could feel the blood still rushing away from the spot where she slapped me.

Tamara grinned at me, showing off her fairly unnoticeable braces. My friend was taller than I was, about 5"7' whereas, I was 5"5'. I honestly didn't think I would grow any taller, but, genetics have screwed over numerous individuals, so I wasn't complaining. Anyway, while Tamara's skin was the colour of smooth chocolate, mine was incredibly pale (which only emphasized my striking green eyes even more). Tamara's eyes were the darkest shade of black I had ever seen.

She wore braces, and I, on the other hand, had straight white teeth.

A side of her head been had shaved off, while the other half was covered in naturally curly and very silky hair that fell at her shoulder. I was a ginger and my straightened hair framed itself against my almond shaped face and fell at my shoulders (I cut it every other week).

My boyfriend Ghanz, once told me that my button nose was adorable, but I wanted it to be like Tamara's well defined one.

I just supposed I'd have to take what I got.

"You're buying lunch later," Tammy replied.

It had been a tradition of ours to pay for each other's lunches at least twice a week, sometimes Ghanz would insist on paying.

"I got you mama," I joked then added, "as long as Mr. Valentine doesn't get pissed off for some reason and gives the entire class detention."

"Ohh..." She grimaced and I knew exactly what she was thinking.

Mr. M. Valentine was Satan's Spawn's Son.

It was common knowledge that the twenty-nine year old had just graduated from college when he was offered a job as our History teacher; that was four years ago and his humor had not gotten better with age.

He tolerated nothing but the best in his class, which is why almost all his students had an 90 and above average.

He barely ever smiled, yet his handsome face never showed any signs of wrinkles.

He had dark silky hair -silkier than Tammy's- and most girls, along with a couple of guys wondered aloud what shampoo and conditioner he used.

It was always gelled back though a few strands of hair escaped and would always fall right above his pale blue orbs. His heart shaped face was lean with a goatee that looked amazing on him.

He had a magnificent lower lip that was pulp and extremely red (as if someone had bitten him on it before he went to work), while his upper lip was full, but not as full.

He had a thick, yet not too muscular throat with a noticeable Adam's Apple that bobbed whenever the class clowns would irritate him...right before they were punished.

Broad powerful shoulders (at least they looked that way in Tamara's head - we had never actually seen him without his infamous long sleeved, buttoned up shirts). It was obvious that his stomach showed no signs of fat, but we were all still waiting to see how many packs he had in the cooler.

He had narrow hips and strong thighs. His fitted linen pants would always hug on to every curve of those long, lean legs. Finally, he was probably well over six feet...we were too scared to ask him his exact height,but, damn, he was a tall guy.