Epilogue: Teach Me

"Father? Can you teach me how to sword fight today?" Marie inquires as she tugs on the hem of Porthos' shirt. Porthos looks down at her with half a piece of bread he's been eating sticking out in between his teeth. Before he gets the chance to respond back without his mouth filled with food, Elodie speaks up.

"Marie, your father just returned from the front a few days ago. He needs to rest," she dictates sternly.

"But he promised me in his letters that he'll teach me when he comes home," Marie whines, putting on a sad, pouty face.

"It's alright, dear. I've got enough rest already," Porthos replies to his wife as he lifts his daughter up and onto his lap.

Porthos gazes at her and smiles, relishing at the sight of his little growing girl: she has long, blond hair that drapes down past her shoulders, large blue eyes as bright as the ocean, and little dimples that appear when she smiles widely. It felt as if it wasn't so long ago that Porthos had her cradled in his arms, cooing at her when she was disturbed from her sleep. Now she's five years old, hopping about everywhere, absorbing new knowledge, and honing new skills and manners as she goes. Being back home in the presence of his loving wife and daughter - who are happy and safe - has reignited the lost, comforting fire in his heart. The blissful warmth having melted away the strong memories of war that ravaged his mind for the past few years.

Marie gives a little chuckle when he ruffles her hair. She attempts to reciprocate the action, but is only able to reach a little above his forehead. He huffs a laugh and dips his head down, allowing her to run her hands through his hair messily.

"I'll teach you af'er brea'fast, alright?" he says, lifting his head back up.

The little girl's lips curl into a smile and nods in agreement enthusiastically. Elodie is about to protest, but quickly decides against it as she watches their daughter briskly eating away at her morning meal while still sitting on Porthos' lap. She can't help but smile and lets out an acquiescing sigh. "She's an eager and determined one. Just like you," she comments, reaching out a hand and placing it over his.

"And she looks beautiful, just like you," Porthos replies with a genuine grin that spreads from ear to ear as he turns his hand around to squeeze hers.

"Stop distracting father from eating!" Marie complains as she finishes the last of her stew. The couple laughs in mirth at their daughter's comment and receives an irritated look from the young girl for delaying her upcoming training. She hops off of Porthos' lap and hastily cleans her bowl and plate. "Hurry up, okay? I'll be waiting outside," she says before dashing out the back door.

A buzz of glee travels through Porthos' body at seeing his daughter's overexcitement and he can't help but let out another laugh. "She sure is energetic as well," he adds and finally resumes back to eating.

Once he's finished, he helps Elodie clear the table and proffers to clean the dishes. Elodie turns and places a hand on his chest. "I'll handle it. You've got a training session with an eager little girl," she says, darting her eyes to the door.

Porthos gives a gentle smile and places his hands around her hips before closing the gap between them and kisses her. Her lips are soft, warm and filled with passion, just the way he remembers it. This is something he's missed doing for a long time.

Their lips part but their foreheads are still hovering mere inches from each other. He cradles his palm around her cheek, stroking across it with his thumb and looks into her deep blue eyes. "I've missed you," he whispers tenderly.