Trapped

I stared out the window watching Father water the plants. Soon they would be ready to harvest. It was Autumn, and Mother was busily washing the breakfast dishes . I wanted to help Father. It seemed like fun. And then I could also be getting work done. Finn looked outside too. Finn was my Harvest Sprite and best friend. Sometimes he worried too much, but he always meant well. Apparently the Harvest Goddess made him for me to guide me in life. The Harvest Goddess needs me to go all the way to Castanet when I'm old enough, but I don't think six is the right age.

We watched my Father work. He must need help. He's always tired at the end of the day, I thought.  Then an idea popped into my head! Finn saw my sudden smile and new I was going to ask mom something that would get me in trouble. "Don't do it, Beatrix! She won't agree! Whatever it is, don't ask it!" I silently laughed, for Mother and Father don't like the sound of my trills, and totally ignored Finn by walking up to Mother, asking,"Excuse me, Mother." "What is it, Beatrice?" Mother asked exasperated. "I got a great idea! Since I don't really like inside chores, I can try helping Father with his instead! Isn't that a grand idea!? Then Father won't be as tired! And-" "Beatrice, that is a terrible idea! You are a young lady! Ladies do not work outdoors in mud and mines." She continued the dishes. My happy expression disappeared and I didn't smile again for the longest time.

"Beatrice, dry the dishes," she commanded, handing me a dripping bowl. I got a cloth and took the bowl from her. I dried it off and put it away. "I don't see what's wrong with-" "Beatrice," Mother interrupted my mumbling. "I tried to warn you, Beatrice," Finn obnoxiously mentioned. I just looked at the cup I was drying.

This was just how my life was. My parents didn't let me ever step a foot outdoor. Mother said I'd be the most proper lady in all of Erin. I always helped Mother cook and clean. If I had free time, I'd daydream near the window of a free life. Poor Finn. He had a wondrous adventure way back from Castanet all the way to my hometown Erin to find me. Now he was trapped in here with me and my demanding Mother. It was quite boring. I got used to being quiet, because even my voice annoyed my parents, and talking to Finn would freak them out a little, cause they couldn't see him. They knew he existed, but they still were hesitant on letting me have what they call an "imaginary friend". But having a good friend didn't really make things more fun. Sometimes Finn would tell me his adventures travelling to Erin, but after hearing the story eighty-four times, it just isn't amusing any more. Spending my childhood trapped.