A Wedding for the Jorgensons

TRIANITY

I rushed about the small cottage getting everything ready. If everything went according to plan, I'd be a full-fledged Jorgenson by the time the sun set. Snotlout will have carried me across the hearth and we would delight in something only married couples should.

That wasn't going to happen, though, if I couldn't get the house ready for tonight. The bed needed to be re-made, the windows washed, and the floor swept. I had done all this yesterday, but a Terrible Terror had escaped Gothi's wise eyes and ransacked the house. I was left to put everything back - all before my wedding day, too!

Today wasn't going how I had dreamed it would. As of now, I should have been getting ready for the ceremony. I should have been bathing in scents and herbs and getting washed up by close friends.

That wasn't happening, though.

Heather and Ruffnut were preparing food as I hurriedly tidied up. They seemed to be the only females I knew that could actually cook well. They were doing something like yak legs and salmon filets for the feast. Chicken soup and dragon scale pie. I just hoped that they were doing a good job of it and everything was going right.

I looked down and saw the rug that someone had made for me. I forgot who, but it was intricately woven together and depicted my life up to now. I was just a babe when I was put into a slumber so long, I lived for four hundred years.

It was a beautiful masterpiece, but it needed to go in the drawer for the week. We could put it in our house some time later.

Oh, that's another thing. Snotlout was supposed to make me a house for our wedding, and he did, it's just that a havoc causing Scauldron tore it apart. Everyone had herded it back to sea before any more damage could be done, but my damage was done. So, we're going to be staying in my hut that Snotlout had made whilst I was asleep for the second time.

I sighed and sat of the bed. The wedding was in four hours and no one seemed to be ready. Astrid was gathering Thor knows what and Valka had to tend to a sick dragon. Tuffnut, who was officiating the wedding, was sick in the Meade Hall.

My wedding was falling apart and it seemed like no one could save it.

Tears started running down my face. This was supposed to be MY wedding. MY  union of vows. MY PERFECT day. And it was coming apart by the seams.

The tears started coming down faster and pretty soon I was a messy ball of nerves. My eyes were red and puffy and I couldn't control my breathing. I was blubbering alone in the house. No one was going to comfort me. No one could hear me.

A rapid knock came at the door and then Valka walked in. She took one look at me and carefully set the jars she was holding on the ground. "Oh sweetheart, what's wrong?" she asked, coming over and sitting next to me. She put her arms around me and pulled me in for a hug.

It took a few minutes before I could speak in coherent sentences. "I ... the wedding ... it's f-falling ap-part," I managed to choke out.

"Oh, sweetie," Valka said, pulling me closer. I turned into her shoulder and started to cry harder. Valka rubbed my back as the tears came, and she didn't say a word. She just let me cry.

The tears wouldn't stop, and when they finally did, I didn't feel better - not really. I still had more tears to cry, but all of the tears were gone.

"Did this happen to you and Stoik when you got married," I asked after a couple minutes.

Valka was silent, probably reliving that day. "Well, Stoik had actually gotten sick that day - very sick - and we didn't know if the wedding could go on or not. It was a dreadful day for me because I didn't know whether or not I'd be a Haddock at the end of the day."