Chapter 1

"Justine! Did you not even hear me?"
"What?" I said as I looked up from my rose gold iPhone 6S.
"You know the rules, no phones at the dinner table."
"Ugh. Fine." I put my phone in my lap and continued eating my vegan lasagna. I don't understand how James, my deadbeat step-dad, or anyone else for that matter could possibly consume dead animals. It disgusts me.

"So, tomorrow's the first day of school. How are you feelin'?" Said James
"Is that supposed to be a joke or something? You know I hate school, James! Stop bringing it up"
"Okay, okay. You know, you can call me 'dad', I mean if you want to."
"As if." I said as I rolled my eyes.
My dad left my mom when I was really young and she got re-married three years ago, and then two years ago she passed away due to a car accident. I miss her a lot but I'm okay. Anyways, because of all of this, I'm stuck with James.
-
I finished up my food and then ran up to my room, opened up my laptop and pressed shuffle on my Spotify playlist. Jacob Sartorius' "Sweatshirt" played and my mood instantly brightened. I've been a fan of Jacob since he only had like 200 fans on Musical.ly, and have loved him ever since. When he came out with this song I was instantly obsessed. Everything from the amazing, well thought out lyrics to the catchy music is just perfect. And don't even get me started on Jacob's God like voice. Just listening to one word makes me the happiest girl in the world.
I sang along while I tidied up my room a little bit.

You can wear my sweatshirt. And you can tell your friends, we'll be together till the end.

I laid down on my bed as the song finished and just daydreamed about how amazing it would be to one day meet Jacob...