My Left Hand Man

This is based on the short of the same title. The only character I own is Lily.

The little girl woke up her brother Sam earlier than usual.

"You said you would read to me." She whispered.

"So I did." He whispered back getting up quicker than she expected him to. They tip toed to the living room and Sam opened the loose floor board to get out the huge book of Shakespeare's plays. He opened the book to Richard the Third and found the comic book he had hidden there. "Here it is." He whispered to his little sister who was already sitting in the huge chair. She clapped silently as he sat down next to her. She climbed onto his lap so she could be closer and he wouldn't have to read as loud. Sam began to read the comic to his sister Lily making a voice for each character and explaining parts that she didn't understand.

When the music began to play from the record player in their father's room, they knew they would need to stop soon. Their father would be up around the house too. Their father didn't approve or this kind of reading, the flight and fantasy of the modern comic book were like eating candy for all three meals he would say. Sam was 14 and Lily was only 7 their minds were craving the sweet words and colourful pictures of Captain Comet.

Then they heard footsteps and the door of their father's room open. Sam dropped the comic book on his lap so their father wouldn't see it over the edge of the chair. Their father simply walked to the kitchen and opened his morning beer.

They heard a door open and Beckett say "Morning dad" as he passed the kitchen. Lily got up to see her brother hoping to give Sam time to hide the comic once more. "Hey Lily" he said passing her and heading straight for Sam.

Beckett snatched the comic out of Sam's hands "Give it back." Sam hissed trying to take it back.

"Don't you ever get sick of it?" Beckett said pushing Sam to the floor. Sam looked over to Lily and she could tell that he didn't want her to help.

"Give it back, it's mine." Sam said getting up and trying to grab it back.

"Stop the racket!" their father said walking in from the kitchen. Lily backed up so she was out of his way. Beckett hid the comic behind his back, not wanting Sam to get in trouble. "What is it Beckett?" he asked walking up to his boys.

"It's nothing." Sam said

"Beckett?"

"It's nothing," Beckett said "Get dressed we're late"

"Well if it's nothing why does your brother look so concerned?" their dad said taking the comic from Beckett.

"That's mine you can't have it." Sam said

"Nothing is yours" their dad bellowed. "You understand me nothing. Where did you get this?"

"I found it" Sam said

"Liar." He said calmer "This is a waste of your time. You should focus on your work. Do you think this shit is any good to you or your brother and sister? Do you?" he paused and Sam glanced at his sister "Get dressed, you'll be late."

Sam walked with his sister back to their room to get dressed. They were in the bathroom practicing in the mirror their parts for today. They were going to present scenes from Twelfth Night. Sam was to play the part of Viola and Lily was to play the fool from Act III scene I.

"So thou mayst say the king lies by a beggar if a beggar dwell near him, or the church stands by thy tabor, if thy tabor stand by the church." Sam said