Chapter 22: The Pain

Riley's POV

Mediation helped me through my stress. Stress about school, relationships....Everything in general. After my whole situation, everyone distanced away from me. All my friends acted like I wasn't there. Lucas was the only one who even listened to me, even though I treated him horribly. However, being with Lucas just felt forced. Like everyone expected me to be with him. I didn't want that.

Yesterday, everything changed. I told Maya my real feelings, and she let go of me completely. I didn't want that. I wanted my best friend, but I don't have her anymore.

I decided to skip school on that Friday. There would be no point to attend anyway. School was going to be over in a few days, and the end of the year dance was coming up as well. I needed to be alone for a while before the universe gave me another surprise. My meditation session was interrupted by the sound of my door opening. My mother arrived in my room. I was surprised her hands weren't carrying any laundry.

That was basically the only time she ever came into my room. "Hey, Riley. What's up?" She muttered, taking a seat on the edge of my bed. I just shrugged, my meditation zone dying. All my stress quickly filled back into my head. "Well, you have a visitor downstairs. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy to see him," Mom said after I didn't reply to her. I sighed, completely annoyed. Lucas. "Tell him he can come in," I said in a raspy voice. I stood up and took a seat at the bay window.

Mom left and shortly later, Lucas strolled into my room. He took a seat next to me. "Hey, Riles," Lucas greeted me, once again using Maya's nickname for me. I bit my lip harshly before I snapped back at him. It just made me angry when he called me 'Riles.' In my mind, him calling me that was a crime. I only wanted Maya to call me that, but it was all over. "Hey, babe," I managed to say, my hand slightly grazing over Lucas's.

A disturbing silence lingered between the two of us. I wanted to say something, but I didn't know what to say. Talking to Lucas became harder and harder every day that passed. I used to talk to him easily, but that was the past. "Riley, I want you to be ok. You've been down in the dumps for the past week. I want to make you feel better. So, would you like to go to the dance....." "I would love to, Lucas. Thank you," I interrupted him, plastering a smile on my face. I wanted that smile to be genuine. I believed that smile was genuine.

Going to the dance will help make me feel better. I hope it does, I thought. Our hands intertwined together. I blushed a little, resting my head on Lucas's shoulder. Out of everyone, Lucas didn't leave. He never did, and I knew he never will. However, as I snuggled up against him, all I could think about was Maya and her beautiful blue eyes. I could only think about how rebellious she was, and how she loved me so much no matter how badly I treated her.

"You didn't have to skip school to come comfort me," I muttered, my eyes fluttering shut. I could feel Lucas's hand stroked my face softly. I smiled against his hand, a small feeling of happiness sparking inside of me. "I wanted to, Riley. I care a lot about you, and I want you to know that," he murmured against my cheek, gently kissing it. My cheeks turned a bright pink. Suddenly, out of nowhere, memories flashed before my eyes. First, I could see Maya and I that night in the alley. It was the first time I met her.

Then, I saw Maya and I dancing together at the beach. Other memories came to my mind, but one important memory stuck out. My eyes watered as I saw Maya and I kissing for the first time in the rain. I quickly rubbed my eyes, wiping away my tears. I scooted away from Lucas, crossing my arms.