Prologue

Harley Quinn sits in the center of her cell, tossing pebbles at the electric bars. Her cell is located in a large, two-story, heavily guarded room.

A door opens above. Harley stands and stretches her arms over her head. "I love visitors."

The warden; a tall, thickly built man walks across the landing and down the steel steps. His feet cause an echo throughout the room. "Good morning Harleen."

"It's Harley!" She snaps, charging for the bars. She stops inches from the electrified metal then places her hand over her lips. Herley smiles and twists a strand of hair between her fingers. "I use to know a Harleen, but not anymore." She turns and walks around her square cells. "What can I do for 'ya?"

He sighs. "You're baby should be here any day now."

She stops and glares over her shoulder at him. "And?"

"You know we can't let you keep her. You're an," he pauses, searching for the right words. "Unfit mother."

Harley's hands clench into fists. "Is that so?" She drops onto her butt and crosses her legs.
"Well, you'll have to cut her out of me, because I ain't given her up."

The warden rubs the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. "If that's what it comes down to, then we will."

Herley stays silent.

"You know Joker won't let you keep her. Does he even know about her?"

Herley tenses. Her pudden wasn't the most compassionate guy, but she believed that once he saw the baby, he'd be okay with it.

"She'll get in the way of his work. He could hurt her."

Herley bit her lip and looked down at her swollen stomach. "Fine. But I want to name her."

"Of course."

She thinks for a moment before smirking. "Penny." She turned to the warden. "You best take care of her."

"I will, Harleen."