The Girl in the Band Shirt - Chapter One

All she knew was her name.

   Or did she? The strange girl really couldn't remember.
   "Hey you! Stop loitering now otherwise I'll give you a ticket!" A young police man, probably the age of twenty-three, smirked as he threatened the girl.
   "Huh?" The girl sat up. She wore an unbuttoned red and black checkered flannel over a black band t-shirt. Her pants were black jeans, and her shoes... Well, she wasn't wearing any. "Hey, what's your name? I seem to be lost. My name's Griffin." She seemed shocked by her own name.
   The boy narrowed his eyes. Griffin? Really? Geez, this girl was such a liar, but he decided to go with it anyways. "Fine, Griffin." He stressed the name strongly.  "My name's Anthony."
   "Anthony...." Griffin echoed softly, then shaking her head. "Anyways, as I said before, do you happen to know where I am?"
   Anthony looked shocked, but before he could reply the loud clock tower boomed with the ringing of the bell. Sighing, he turned around and fished out a small notebook from his pocket, a pen attached to it. He jotted a few words down before tearing out the page handing it to Griffin. "Here, take this. It's my phone number. You have money to use a payphone, right?"
   Griffin seemed very fascinated by the paper before she came back to her senses. "Yeah, yeah." She answered hastily.
   Anthony groaned and threw four quarters at her and yelled "get lost" before running back into a police station.

                      •          •          •

   Griffin stared at the payphone questioningly. How do I not remember how to use these things? She didn't understand, but guessed and stuck a quarter in the small slot, picked up the phone and dialed the number written on the paper by Anthony.
   No answer. What the hell? Did he die in only a few hours or something? As soon as she realized the thought she winced and repeated her past action.
   No answer again. I have four quarters, maybe thirds a charm? She put the quarter in the slot, picked up the phone and dialed his number.
   No answer. Why am I worried? Geez, stupid humans. She paused. Did she just refer to him as a 'human'? Wasn't she one herself?
   She decided she'd give it one more go.  She put the quarter in, picked up the phone and dialed the number. The line connected and it seemed to have been answered.
   "Anthony? Who keeps calling you?" A probably bratty girl, probably only a few years younger than Anthony answered the phone. "Well, who are you?" The voice repeated with a dramatic 'ugh' and tongue click of sorts.
   "Uh, I'm Griffin. And you are?" The dirty blond haired girl glanced down at her feet, she had nothing on them, yet surprisingly she felt no pain whatsoever.
   "Oooh! Anthony, did you get a girlfriend on your second day at work? Didn't know losers could do that!" The teenage girl seemed to have moved the phone a bit away from her face, and the distant yelling of what probably Anthony was heard.
   "Give it back Skylar!" Yep. Definitely Anthony. Anthony snatched the phone away from his sister quickly and ran into his bedroom, slamming the door a little bit to hard. "I'm sorry about that. My sister can be quite a pain."
   "I used all your quarters." Griffin said with a slight groan. "And there aren't any chairs or anything to sit on in this thing."
   Anthony grinned softly. "Where are you? I'll meet you wherever you are and we can continue our conversation. As well as getting you something for your feet."
   "I'm at the park near the police station. Ya know, with the pool." Griffin looked at her pale hand, smiling. Nobody was ever so kind to her.
   Anthony groaned silently but started getting ready by slipping on his shoes and putting a jacket on. "I'll be up there soon, okay?"
   "Okay." She replied with a yawn, hanging up the telephone.