Chapter 1

Katara POV
     "Katara, we need to talk,"Aang said to me. I was by the water fountain, cleaning my clothes and had my back to him. He sounded sad so I stopped what I was doing and turned around to him.
     "What is it Aang?"I ask. He was staring at the ground scratching the back of his neck.
     "Uh, this isn't easy for me to say, but I can't be with you anymore." He gave me a glance that said he truely regrets this.
     "Why not? Aang, I'm not understanding. What are you saying?" I say to him. Why was he breaking up with me? We've been together for a little over a year now.

     "I can't tell you right now, but you will understand later when I do tell you. I'll have Appa take you to the South Pole tomorrow. I'm sorry, Katara,"he said. Regret was in his voice. I didn't question him anymore, since I know he would tell me in time.
     I went to my room and started packing my things to head back home. Instead of looking at the negatives, like leaving Aang alone in a temple, miles away from anyone else, and look at the positives like I get to see Dad, Sokka, Gran Gran, and Gran Pakku. Better yet I can practice my ice bending more.
     When I was done packing, I started making dinner. Aang and I ate in silence and only acknowledged eachother before and after we ate. After I cleaned the dishes, I went down to the river for some full moon bending.
     As I walked into the late summer waters it felt like black silk slowly wrapping itself around my body. I closed my eyes and started bending the water.
     My hands and mind swiftly shaped the water without knowing an exact figure. When I open my eyes, I almost loose it. In front of me was my mother, or at least a figure of her. I put my hands to my side, thinking the water would also fall. Instead, the figure stays there and and walks toward me.
     "Beautiful child of mine, the Spirits are not yet done with you. They have allowed me to become a minor Spirit that watches those with brave hearts willing to give up everything for someone that they love. And that is why I am here for you," she said to me. Hearing her voice again made me feel safe and secure.
     "But what do that want from me? Why didn't you come see me sooner? I needed you. Dad and Sokka needed you. I think about you everyday," I say to her.
     "Katara, your heart has been through so much, and yet you still want to give all that you have in you. There are situations in which you know you understand the problem and you wish that you don't because you are scared of the outcome."
     "Why does Aang need to be left alone? Does the Spirits have something to do with that? Mother, please. I've been so lost without you."
     "No, child. You've been leading ever since I went away that day in the South Pole. Your brother and father have been the ones that are lost. Your Father left because he didn't know how to raise you without me. Sokka only did what he was told to do, but he never did follow his heart until you two found the Avatar in the ice."
      "But what about after everything? It's been a year and-"
     "Still as curious as ever, my little bender. All your questions will be answered in time but I will answer one right now. First come to the bank and dry and dress yourself. I will tell you why I didn't come see you, your father, or your brother."
     I left the waters to dress myself in my clothes. She waited at the edge of the water watching the moon. When I was done, I went and stood next to her. "The moon looks beautiful tonight."
     "Yea, Yue does a great job shining bright and showing the way to people."
     "You know her? I thought that she was a Spirit."
     "She is, but wasn't always. After Sokka and I found Aang in the ice, he said that he needed to learn waterbending. So the three of us headed for the North Pole. She was the Princess of both tribes until she gave her life back to the moon Spirit. I felt bad for Sokka though. He and Yue fell in love. But I know that she made sure Suki ended up with Sokka. I have a gut feeling."
     "And I bet you are right. I can ask her once I get back to the Spirit World. Now I must go. People you know will soon tell you the answers to your questions. I love you, Katara, and remember that I am always with you."

     With that she faded into the moonlit waters. A small white lotus with a blueish glow replaced her on the water where she stood a moment before. I pick it up and stare at it. In the center of the flower was a single fire nation flame while the petals around it made up the symbol on my mother's necklace.
     I pick up my belongings along with the flower and head back to my room. I packed my clothes from earlier and placed the flower in my bedside table. I ignight the small candle on my nightstand and laydown on my bed.
     I stare at the flame and the flower. Both beautiful and mysterious in such unique ways. Soon my eyelids began to grow heavy and started to close.