Chapter 1

"Look what we have here!" a playful voice whispered in my ear.

"What," I asked, outraged that the imbecile had even gotten here, "are you doing here? How did you even get through the forest?!"

"Remember when I was reading that book on how to be a ninja?" he answered, attempting (and failing) to look innocent.

"Jut leave. This isn't any of your business," I commented, letting the tip of my sword touch the ground.

"Oh contraire my young friend, it IS my business to see what you're doing, if you're in the forest,"

"Oh really," I commented, sarcasm positively dripping from my voice.

"Why yes," he replied, giving a flourishing bow, "It is, because if I'm correct you, are in the middle of the woods at night, and some of the creatures out here aren't the most friendly."

"And I'm perfectly capable of handling them on my own, thank you very much Puck,"

"Ah, but you aren't, you're just as lost as I am, and, you have no idea how to get back to the village. Plus, you need some work on your stabs, they need to be faster or your opponent will see them coming. Just saying,"

"I don't need your help," I grumbled, picking my sword back up and stabbing the tree, slightly faster than before.

"See! Now you're doing it!" Puck replied, his smile growing brighter, "You should probably start heading back at first light, they'll be looking for you."

"Ha, as if,"

"They might miss you this morning,"

"What on earth could make you think that?"

"Two letters that I found on the table may have something to do with it,"

I almost dropped my sword. It had to be. An acceptance letter into the Academy. On the inside I started squealing with joy. The academy! They only trained those with the most potential to graduate, and no one from the village had been accepted in generations.

"Race you there," Puck challenged as he started to run through the woods.

"Wait up!" I called over to him, a smile spreading across my face as I started sprinting after him in the early morning light.