Life as it Was

Still and Cold I lay in the darkness.
As I awoke I felt life ease into my withered body. Painfully I gasped my first breath and my mind began to take shape. My thoughts came to me slowly from diminished forms and grew more complex with each exasperated breath I drew. The warmth was slowly creeping into my body emanating from the inside outward. My eye lids grew lighter and stronger every second and when they finally pealed open I saw the mournful and utterly wet faces of all those whom held love for me in their hearts. They were here to comfort me in my Dying Day. They knew my soul well and as it filled my body, I felt their pain surrounding me. My strength increased in the coming hours and the faces grew less tormented. I could speak now; soft and slow, but I could speak. I gave instructions to my son and conveyed to him, and all my children, the Love and Pride which I held for them. They gave me their words of love and praise to which I had answered.  Many dear friends and family members from my young age to that of the children far advanced in years came to pay their respects to me on my Dying Day.

On the next day, I could sit upright and speak with more clarity.  My mind had sharpened tremendously since the previous day. Fewer people came this day only those closest to me were in attendance. My voice was still rough from the grave and I spoke like a miner, lungs thick with black dust. My body felt weak but not nearly as wretched as on my Dying Day.

As weeks shifted by, my body grew in strength. Pains that had plagued me from
the grave became steady once more. Finally I was escorted home. It was in this moment the pains of the grave peaked in a tremendous wave my body could hardly comprehend. In a moment the pain subsided and I felt exponentially better. My wife was with me, her face was wrinkled from the grave yet still quite beautiful. Oh how happy and at peace we were with one another.

The years moved by and we grew stronger. We spent our early years of leisure together playing tennis and enjoying one another's company and the adoration and awe of the children. My brain was full of knowledge on subjects ranging from highly advanced physics to beautiful artistic techniques and literary prose. I was content. I will have had by then contributed in my future a great many gifts to humanity.  My fellow man revered me greatly.

My mind ever sharp I slipped through my years of contribution creating many great works of Science, Art, and Literature. Teaching the children and men all I could. I was filled with sorrow in the Dying Days of my closest friends. They followed me into this world also making their due contributions to it. The world felt in balance.

Soon the Days of Birth of my children were upon me. I was overjoyed when each of them entered the womb of their mother, my beloved wife. We were all advancing in years and getting quite young. The skin of my wife was smooth and beautiful. My own body came into its peak of physical aptitude. Our voices sang in perfect harmony.

By this time my wisdom and knowledge were beginning to slowly fade and diminish. Still happiness was with me and my marriage was coming soon. The joy of celebration was quite exquisite and my wife became my girlfriend. Her last name was changed to that of her father. We lived together still and were quite happy.

Soon however I no longer knew my wife, nor many of my greatest friends. I had moved through my college years and into high school. My greatest friend of all, who was with me from my Dying Day now too became a stranger to me. My knowledge was fading quickly.

My childhood was upon me. The world which was once so clear and small to me became quite large and wondrous to me. I was thrilled with so many small details I had previously payed little mind to. My mother and I had so many magical adventures. The world was so big to me now. The joys of the world were unprecedented. Things I had so clearly known became ineffable. My dogs Dying Day came and went I had many great years with her. Before I knew it, it was the Dying Day of my Father, after which the last of the pain faded and my purity was whole.

We walked together as a family; my Mother, Father and I. We were at peace. Then a great day of joy came. My Last Day. The Day I entered my mothers womb and I curled up inside her.
Still and Warm I sat in the darkness.

-Lucas Sanders