Chapter 1

Astrid's POV

"Who Mother? Who could I possibly marry that could make our kingdom any stronger?" I asked in a bored tone. Although my mother had brought up this idea before, she never had succeeded in getting another royal to want to even try talking to me. They simply have heard all of the awful stories about me.

"Well, there is someone. Someone who can handle you and all of your antics." My mother replied as she fixed the sparkling crown atop of her head.

"And just who could that possibly be?" I rolled my eyes as I ran a hand through my messy, brunette hair.

"As I recall, you and Prince Xavier were always the best of friends. Maybe that friendship could become something more for the sake of both of our kingdoms?" She attempted to continue on, but I cut her off with a shout.

"But Mother! You absolutely cannot be serious!" I screamed. I didn't care that the entire kingdom could most likely hear me. I was NOT going to Athadia. And I most certainly was NOT going to marry Xavier of all people. She couldn't make me. Nope. Not at all.

                                    ***

      I glowered at the woods outside my carriage. My mother apparently could make me go to Athadia. And my father was all for the idea of me marrying Xavier. Especially since it would strengthen our alliance with the neighboring kingdom. But no matter how much they yelled at me, demanded me, or begged me, I would not marry that stupid child. Sure, we were the same age, but he probably still acted as though he were a squealing toddler.

And I, Princess Astrid Brielle, was not a child. I am 18 years old and I can make my own decisions without my parents' influence ruining my life thank you very much. I looked down at the god-awful attire my parents had forced me into. The baby blue silk dress was enough to make me puke. Nevermind the fact that it was poofy and heavy. I looked so stupid. Thank goodness I packed enough jeans to last me a year, which is how long we'd- I'm sorry...how long I'd- be staying at the castle. My parents and younger brother were going to stay a week and then go off back home, leaving me in the dreadful clutches of Xavier Maverick. I shuddered at the thought of seeing his face again.

4 Dreadful years ago

       "You are such a foolish boy. Even you cannot stop what is to come because of this." I told Xavier angrily.

     He is such and idiot to believe he could get away with this. As if no one would find out or as if I wouldn't tell someone. He could be the end of us all if he wasn't stopped. I looked down at the ground, the ripped tapestry laying at my feet in shreds. I can't believe he did this to our families. To our kingdoms. To us.

     As I looked up at his bewildered expression, I simply shook my head slowly and said. "You will soon meet the end of your days if this is how you envision the world."

       And with those final words, I walked out of the grand room of the old structure and walked right out the front gates. I hopped onto Charlie and rode away into the sunset, never once looking back at him. I knew he was watching me go, but I couldn't allow myself to look back, for fear I would turn around and go running into his arms as I have plenty of times before. But now things are different. And they could never be the same. Yet, neither will I.

End Flashback

I looked back inside our carriage and looked closely at my family. We all appeared calm and collected, always knowing. Everyone in our kingdom who saw us, saw the perfect family. All I saw was the lies. The hatred. And most of all, the internal war no one outside of the palace walls ever saw. Very few people knew what happened behind closed doors and I could feel the tension radiating off of everyone in the carriage along with me. Especially from my enraged father.