Prologue

The young girl ran down the halls as fast as she could through the burning mansion, when a door suddenly opened and she was yanked into a dimly-lit room. She looked up to find a thin woman with blond hair.

The woman gazed down at her and urgently whispered, "Lucy, I need you to lend me your heart. Do me this, and I'll open the gate."

Confused by this the small child asked, "What do you mean?"

"Please trust me." The woman gripped Lucy's small hands tightly.

Still unsure she agreed, "O-okay..."

The woman then closed her eyes and a strange golden orb emerged from young Lucy's chest.

"Wha-" Lucy started, alarmed.

"Do not be afraid child. This is your heart. You possess unique gifts that cannot be compared. " As the woman spoke the orb grew until it was about the size of the grandfather clock in the room. Then, the orb flattened into disk and swirled like liquid in the center. "Go child," She released Lucy's hands and hastily shoved a large, brown, leather-bound book into her arms. "Hurry."

The fire had now reached the room and was spreading quickly. Hesitantly, Lucy looked back at the woman only to see her being consumed by flames.  Her screams caught in her throat. She turned away, closed her eyes and leaped into the gate.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

A/N: Lucy is about 6 at this time. What do you guys think? Please tell if there are any grammar or spelling mistakes so I can fix them!