The Gift

School. Just the word sent dread into her stomach.

Kassy rolled her shoulder, adjusting the backpack slung over it. She hated this place, but maybe that was a good thing. Just create enough distance; just don't get attached to anything.

But more than the building and curriculum itself, Kassy hated the students.

They were all so stupid, with their prada bags and varsity vests. Things she couldn't never have, never afford. She sighed a little, pushing open the door to homeroom.

"Here we go again..."

Except... The room was empty.

She glanced at the clock. 8:15. Everyone should be here by now.

Kassy turned around, taking a step to see out into the hallway. The once full hall was completely empty as well.

What the hell was going on?

She began walking the hallway, looking around for any sign of life. None. This school might as well be a deserted wasteland.

She opened the door to one room and froze.

Bodies were on the floor. Limp, unmoving. Every one of their eyes taken out.

Kassy covered her mouth with a hand, her stomach retching at the gruesome sight. Oh... Oh my God.

She looked around the room, searching for anything that wasn't an eye-less face or a ripped-out stomach, entrails strewn onto the floor. What... What was this?

"You like the back to school gift?"

She spun around, eyes widening in shock.

"Jason Redding?"

Jason smiled--grinned, actually--and moved his hand a little bit, the knife in his hand catching light.

"You know you wanted this," he said, and his smile disappeared. He motioned with his head to the room behind Kassy, the one with all her dead classmates. "They're all so stupid, with their nice cars and perfect laughs."

He took a step forward; Kassy took one back.

"I was just doing us--the underdog--a favor, Kass. That's all this is."

"W-we have to call someone," Kassy stammered. "We need to call the police, a medical ambulance--"

Jason tsked. "You're not getting this, Kassy," he sang, tapping the side of the knife's blade against his thigh.

"J-Jason, this is crazy. W-we need to do something--"

Jason grinned.

"I know."

In the space of a second, Kassy's sight was covered by a bag.

_____

Kassy breathed quickly, her sight black and her wrists bound.

Where was she?

"Here." A pencil was placed between her hands and instinctively she held it, not knowing what he'd do if she didn't. "You'll be needing this for back to school."

Mad laughter came from above her, and Kassy realized she was on her knees. Her hands were filling with more pencils, and moving one hand, she felt the sharp tip of one. Good; some kind of weapon.

"Do you like your school supplies?"

She needed to get out of here... But how? Where was she in the first place?