Then and Now

They tell her how beautiful she is. How they would give up everything just to be with her. Her long, flowing hair and soft, comforting eyes now seem to be the most precious thing in the entire world. Her smile is now thought to light up a room. 

But it wasn't like that yesterday. Yesterday, she was just another face in the crowd. Her average hair and boring eyes seemed to just easily fit in with the rest, yet somehow she felt different. Somehow, she didn't fit in. The others never spoke her name, payed attention to her, or even greeted her as she walked down the halls. It was like she was invisible, her plain smile attracting no soul's acknowledgement. Clenching tight to what little hope she had left, that maybe someday she might be able to move on with life and forget about her adversities, she continued to strive her best to withstand the mocking ways of the world. She felt lost, miserable, and alone. 

And that was how life went on, until that one day, today, did they perk their heads up at the sound of her name, curiosity filling their hardened hearts. Only then did they realize what a blessing it is to have her never ending smile light up the hallway as she walks by. Her presence is now craved, longed for, desired. 

However, despite this sudden change, their focus still never turns towards the girl who never ceased to smile; they still do not speak to her or acknowledge her presence as she walks by. They can't. Because now she's gone.