Compulsions

"Dean? How long?" The younger hunter squirmed in his seat. He tapped his fingers against the pale leather of the Impala's interior. Tap-tap-tap... Tap-tap-tap.

"How am I supposed to know?!" Dean snapped at his little brother. The taller man's increasing fidgeting was beginning to wind Dean up the wall.

Sam pulled his jacket tighter around his body trying to chase away the cold. The elder brother sighed and turned the heat up another notch.

The stakeout had already lasted most the night and the boys were beginning to get restless. The abandoned warehouse that they were watching seemed cliché but they still kept their eyes trained on the dark building. Dean rolled his eyes as Sam fidgeted nervously. They had a tip off from a friend of Bobby's that a vampire nest had developed here so they volunteered to check it out.

Sam shifted and muttered, "Something strange is going on here."

Dean hummed in agreement before checking his watch. Sam sat absorbed in his own thoughts so jumped when Dean started up the engine.

"We'll have to come back tomorrow night... That's if they don't come to us first." Dean pulled away from the warehouse wearily. Sleep called desperately out to him.

The Midnight black Impala came to a stop outside the motel room the boys were renting. Without a word, the two men pulled themselves from the car, grabbed their bags and shuffled into the room. They passed the kitchenette and living space before throwing their gear down onto the beds. Dean claimed the one closest to the door while Sam got the one by the bathroom.

The elder brother collapsed on his bed, stretching out. His eyes slid closed as he sighed in satisfaction. Sam glanced over his shoulder at his brother. He bit his bottom lip nervously.

"Umm, Dean?"

The man grunted in reply. He stayed still aside from his chest rising and falling slowly.

"Do you really think that they'll come after us?" He shifted from one foot to the other.

Dean peaked open one eye and peered up at Sam, "Honestly, Sammy? Yeah. Most likely."

The younger man gnawed at his lip, a nervous habit. The metallic taste of blood hit his tongue as his teeth broke the skin. Dean watched as his brother twitched in barely hidden panic.

"Hey, hey, hey, Sammy! It's fine! Don't worry about it. We'll be fine." He tried to reassure his little brother. He leant up on his elbows and leant his head like a confused puppy.

Sam took a breath. He hated not being prepared to defend himself and Dean. He felt out of control with nothing ready and prepared. He'd learnt that he struggled to not be in control so avoided it at all costs.

"Yeah, of course." Sam smiled but on the inside his stomach ached.

---
It was early morning and the pale light streamed in through the gap in the thin curtains. Dean had been asleep for almost an hour while Sam stared up at the bare ceiling. He carded his hand through his hair and a groan rumbled from his chest.

He threw the blanket from his body and swung his legs from the bed. He ran his hand over his face and sighed as his eyes scanned the messy motel room. Shoes scattered by the door, clothes littered about. That's without mentioning the take out cartons building up in the kitchenette.

The tall man pulled the blanket back over and flattened out the the creases and wrinkles. His eyes instinctively glanced over at the door every few minutes.

He stood up in the room before pacing back and forth. He paced silently in an attempt to leave Dean asleep. Every few minutes he'd glance nervously at the door and in his mind he formulated plan after plan. His mind wanted him to be ready, to be prepared.