flashbacks and fair friends

Monroe, New Jersey, also known as the highly-populated town I have lived in since I was four, has always been full of surprises. Besides the fact that everyone here survives off of sticking to routine, in Monroe there's always a new event happening or scandal to be heard. This week's event just so happens to be a carnival at a special grammar school called The Marylin Jackson institute for gifted children. This carnival is pretty much legendary in our town. Every year more and more people seem to come, if this keeps up, there isn't going to be enough room to even walk around. This year is different  though because my best friend and I had split up to go to different high schools. 

Being grammar school best friends had its perks, but now, since freshman year started, we're seeing its flaws. Yes, I have made a few friends in my new high school, James Burgan high, but nobody could even come close to me and Amy. From pre-k to 8th grade we were an imperishable duo. Even though everything started to plummet downhill going into freshman year for us, we made it through. Now going into our sophomore year, we're more ready than ever, with our planned schedules and contact information.

Oh, sorry for rambling on and on about school and stuff, let me bring you out of my thoughts and back to reality...

The sun blinds my eyes as I lower my sunglasses to the tip of my nose. The sounds of kids laughing, screaming, and running cloud my ears. The taste of Cotton Candy and Funnel cake lingers on my lips from five minutes ago, when I was suppose to meet my best friend, Amy, at the food tent. I'm looking around for her, but still haven't found her yet. You would think I would be worried about my best friend being late, but if you knew her, you would know why. She's just one of those people who have parents that don't like to drive her anywhere, and doesn't really keep track of time. I have offered many times to make one of my brothers drive me and pick her up, but she insists on, as she says 'not relying on people to do nice things for her.'  

My brothers are twins, but if you saw them you wouldn't even think they were related, like.. at all. The oldest twin, Louis was born two weeks earlier than my other brother causing his size to be more teeny and immature than the rest of the family. 20 years ago, my poor mom had to wait in the hospital just to have the second twin. That second twin, Liam, unlike Louis, was born normal sized, but had problems with one of his kidneys. Besides the twins and me, the only other child in our household is my handsome little 2 year old nephew, Brett. Yes, you heard that right, I have a nephew, so that's means one of my brothers had a baby and that brother is...Liam. Three years ago Liam got drunk off his ass at a party and well, I think you could guess the rest. Approximately a year later there was a knock at our door, and being the closest to the door, I answered. A tall officer with reddish facial hair, and what I'm guessing, a bald head underneath his cap, was standing in front of me holding quite a few papers.  

~*flashback*~ 

"Hello honey, does a Liam Wright live here?" he asked in a sickly baby voice with a stupid grin on. He bent down to my level, which actually wasn't that low considering I was 13 and 5'3.

"Yes he does, and who is asking?" I ask him in a very responsible tone. Surprising him with my cocky comment, he straightened his back, and returned to a normal standing position.  

"Officer Richard Doran. May I please see him, or an adult?" I was debating on who to call or if I should even call any one, but I guess I had too considering he was a cop.  

"Okay, hold on. Louis?!" I wailed as I notice the police officer covering his ears from my sudden outburst. Seconds later a very worried looking Louis ran down the stairs in a long black sleeved baseball shirt and pair of gray sweatpants . Once he saw the officer at the door he immediately turned to me giving me a disappointed look. "Stephanie, what did you do?"