Untitled Part 1

****Mr Griffiths : I feel really sad when I hear the things that happen nowadays. 

Mrs Griffiths : What is the latest, my dear?

We were seated in the dinner table. I was with Micheal, his parents and his little sister, Julia. It was my first time spending time with his family. Micheal was my best friend and we got along very well. He actually insisted that I come here.

Mike : What's happening dad?

Mr Griffiths : The Indonesian Airline to New York disappeared.

Mrs Griffiths : What do you mean?

Mr Griffiths : It is suspected to be somewhere at the bottom of the ocean.

Me : WHAT?!

I asked with a voice that was unsteady. It was full of mixed emotions, I guess.

Everybody looked at me, I guess I was so quiet that they even forgot about my presence at the dinner table. 

Mr Griffiths : I said that.....

Me : I heard what you said! MY mother was in  that airline!!!

I screamed........ ****

I felt ice cold water on my face and a voice waking me up. I jumped from the bed and stood up. I looked at the figure watching me, only to find that it is my was Rose.

Me : Geeee! What the hell Rosemary?!

Rose : Wake up Mella.

Rose is my big sister. Well by 'big' I mean that she is three years older than me. She is nineteen, while I, on the other hand, am still sixteen years old. 

Me : You didn't have to throw ice-cold water on my face, you know.

Rose : I know, and I am sorry. It's just that you were screaming in your sleep. 

I looked at her and said nothing.

Rose : What is wrong?

Oh boy! I saw that question coming.

Me : It's nothing Rose... Nothing is wrong. I'm just going to take a shower.

I said that while walking up to the bathroom door...

Rose : I am flippin' tired of that response Samella Diamond Lou!

She raised her voice and trust me, I have never been scared of her - until that very moment.

I looked down because her eyes were heavy on me.

Rose : I am sorry baby sis.

I looked at her only once and then looked down again.

Rose : It's just that you don't talk to me no more and it started after mom passed away. You never talk about her passing. Is that what is troubling you? Are the nightmares that you keep having about her?

I kept quiet and opened the bathroom door and then took a deep breath and turned to face her again....

Me : It does not matter anymore Rose! Talking about mom's death will never bring her back. It won't turn back time and undo everything. The airline disappeared and our mother died - my mother died!

I walked inside the bathroom and closed the door, letting tears cascade down my cheeks like raindrops....

Two months ago, our mother was on her way to seal a billionaire business contract in New York, but unfortunately, she did not make it there. The airline that she was in was tempered with and lost control. It landed in the middle of the ocean and nobody survived that crash. 

I am now left with Rose. She is my only family.