three || encounter

T H R E E

You were flipping through a catalog with Chuuya sitting right beside you with his arm draped on your shoulders. Miyu was sitting right next to you, sleeping peacefully. A happy sigh escaped your lips as you ran your fingers through her (Hair Color) locks.

"Say, Chuuya..." you started looking at your husband who were wearing squared glasses. You couldn't help but to suppress a laugh.

"W-What?" he made a funny contoured face at you, pouting.

"I just thought that you look like a little dork!" you giggled in delight.

Chuuya sighed, but smiled afterwards. "I'm getting old, (F/N). I need these glasses to see clearly especially when I'm reading."

"Getting old? Oh, please Chuuya. You're talking as if you're a 80 year old man." you joked which made him smile.

"Alright, what is it?" he leaned in and rested his head on your shoulder, peering over at the catalog.

"It's almost Christmas... Should we get a Christmas tree and decorate our home?" you asked, shuffling through the other catalogs.

"Seems like a brilliant idea. Let's go shopping tomorrow." he squeezed your hand, smiling in return.

You couldn't believe that Christmas was just right around the corner. You suddenly thought of something that made you a bit sentimental.

'I wonder what he's doing right now...' you pondered to yourself, looking at the snowy window.

¤¤¤

The mall was an absolute chaos. Tons and tons of people were flying all over the place, in search for Christmas decorations. Kids were tackling each other in the small indoor playground that Chuuya was about to take Miyu to, but it seemed too hectic and dangerous. With Miyu's hand wrapped tightly around yours, you plowed your way into the bustling crowd with Chuuya following Miyu and you from behind.

"Chuuya! I'll go and check this store and in the mean time can you buy the first two decorations on the list?" you shouted from the front.

"Sure! But are you going to be ok with Miyu?"

"I'll be fine! I'll call you when I'm finished!" you squeezed your daughter's hand as the two on you marched through while Chuuya turned back around and followed your instructions. You finally made it to the store you were searching for and headed inside. You looked for the decorations you needed as you occasionally turned around to look out for your daughter so she doesn't get lost. She was admiring at a few stuffed animals with a couple of other girls around her age she just met.

"Alright... So I got the Christmas tree ornaments... Got the presents for Miyu and Chuuya..." you checked off the list as you muttered. "Hey, Miyu chan? I'll let you decided what Christmas tree you want. What do you-" you turned around, expecting to see you daughter laughing away with the other children but not a single trace of her was found.

Your heart immediately raced as you searched for your child desperately. You ran out the store as you shouted her name, hoping this would all be some kind of a prank and she would pop out of nowhere. Miyu loves to tease you and scare you so you thought of this as another prank. But it wasn't.

Your daughter was missing.

But through your shouts you suddenly heard a familiar laugh of hers.

"MIYU?! Miyu, please answer me!" you tried your best to track her voice by canceling out all the chatters around you. In the clearing, you finally found her except she was giggling away with a man. The man was bent down to her height as he was smiling at her.

"Are you lost? Where's your mommy?" he asked calmly.

"D-Dazai??" you breathed, shocked to see who was in front of you. He peered his face up as his eyes widened.

"(L-L/N)??"

There was a long awkward silence between you two until Dazai broke the silence.

"T-This must be your daughter, right? Here." Dazai gave Miyu a light push as she broke into giggles and sprang towards you with glee.

"W-What are you doing here?" you asked, still astonished. After all these years- you finally found him.

"I'd like it if you don't tell Chuuya that you saw me." he answered a bit too quickly, making it sound like he's still a bit hungover on what happened between the two of you and him. "And I take it that you're both married, huh?"

You nod.

"I came here because I missed Yokohama after I ran away from you and Chuuya." Dazai sighed in sorrow but put back on his smiley face. "I'm happy that you're married to Chuuya. He's a great guy you know."

"W-Why?" you felt your voice waver slightly, feeling your legs crumble.

"Hm?"

"Why did you do that?"

The look on his face instantly fell. "Oh, you mean that... I've actually been planning to break up with you."

"What?"

"Because you and Chuuya seemed really close. Even closer than me and him. Plus, you always had sparkles and glitter in your eyes whenever you were around him, not with me. You seemed more happier with him." Dazai explained.

"So why did you cheat?"

"I couldn't break up with you in person. I was too scared because I didn't want to hurt you and that is the least thing I want to do..."

"So you decided to cheat instead and make me even more miserable?" you were trying your best to keep your temper, but it wasn't going well. You hated what he did to you back then and no way you were going to forgive him. Sure he had his own reasons but he shattered the love you had for him.

"I don't want you to forgive me. Just keep on hating me." his orbs were filled with sadness, giving off a mournful vibe. You realized that you've gone a bit too far.

"No, Dazai-"

"Look at me, (L/N)." he cut you off- his voice was stern. "I'm just a single man trying to commit suicide. By myself."

"You don't have to go that far, Dazai. What happened between us is in the past."

"Even if you do forgive me, I can never forgive myself for what a foolish choice I made. I can never forgive myself that I caused you to cry in front of me." he stifled a weak laugh that was filled with melancholy as he looked at the ground painfully.

"(F/N)! (F/N)!!" You suddenly heard a distant shout calling for your name.

"Look. You're husband is calling you. You made a happy family. Be proud of that." Dazai smiled. "Goodbye, (F/N) chan..." giving you a one last good look, he turned around with his shoulders sulking, walking farther and farther away from you. But you reached for his sleeve as he spun around, surprised.

"Can I at least get a hug?" you asked with that same exact smile you had on when he was laughing happily beside you. The brunette felt his tears surfacing from his eyes as he nods and leans down to give you the tightest embrace he ever gave you.

Squeezing your hand for a last final goodbye, you watched your old friend and ex fade in the crowds. You were a bit taken back by what just happened so you remained silent, trying to process everything. Just a few more days till Christmas- the day Dazai cheated on you...

"(F/N)! There you are, I've been looking all over for you." Chuuya came running from behind, resting his hand on your shoulder. "I've bought everything on this list so you don't have to worry about buying the rest."

"....."

Chuuya step in front of you, staring down at your pupils. "Is there something wrong? What happened?"

You didn't know what had gotten to you so you shrugged it off with a smile. "Oh, nothing. Thank you so much by the way, Chuuya."

"Are you sure nothing is wrong? You seem a little gloomy..."

You stepped onto your toes and gave him a light peck on his cheek. He blushed instantly.

"I'm fine~ Now, why don't we buy the last thing on our list which is the tree itself and decorate it together!"