We've all got Problems

~•~

       The wind picked up drastically as I trudged up the concrete-pavement to my Hell hole of a school.
       Every since my Dad's divorce with mom, it's never been the same. He didn't seem to understand how lonely I was now.
       Mom would always wake me up early. She knew if I didn't wake up at an early time, I would be late. Nowadays it seems I'm always late. Not like my dad will do anything about it. He's too depressed to do anything other than sleep.
        "Chin up, Laney!" I heard the familiar sound of my best friend.

     Gracelyn Aldridge. How to describe her in a few words... Loud, bubbly, adorable. All in all, the perfect best friend.
         She was the only person I cried to... other than Ethan, but he moved away last month. It was hard on me, and Grace. Not to mention his girlfriend. It's not like he actually liked her though.
      Let me get this straight. Ethan Kane was my first crush in second grade. I still laugh at it now when I think of it.
     He's not a player. In fact, he is probably one of the nicest boys you will ever meet.
        He's actually on the BasketBall team for my High school. Wilkenson Addison High School, home of the Albino Whales. Best mascot ever.
       "Umm... Lane? You there?" Queried Grace.
       "Hmm? Oh. I'm here. Just got some stuff on my mind." I replied with a small smile.
      If only it were a real smile.
    "Well let's hope it goes away before class. You know how much you need to pay attention this year."
      So I'm a Junior, and this school is actually new. It opened last year, and when it opened... it didn't except Juniors or Seniors. Weird, right? Which also means the Juniors are the oldest in the school at the moment.
    Well, I was a Sophomore, and now here I am. Almost a senior.
       ACT's are actually starting next week. I wish I could stab myself with my mechanical pencil, and bleed out.
      But alas, I can't leave Grace alone. She'd go berserk... and I couldn't live with myself if that happened.
       "I know... it's nothing. So I'm all good."
       I lied. I'm not good at all. Maybe she won't notice my lie. Act natural... even breaths..
        "That's a load of bull, and you know it."
       Dang. She noticed. Well, there goes everything I every hoped for in life.
     She may be sweet and bubbly, but she is Hell when lied to. Which also means, I'm dead.
       "Not completely bull. I am fine now." I say defensively.
      She gives me the 'look'. You know, the one look, you-wish-you-were-dead-but-ha-you're-not-so-now-you're-in-for-it look.
     She turns on her heal and starts skipping up to the school.
       "How did you become late?"
I practically yell at her.
        "Tch. I was stalking you, silly! I had to make sure you made it to school without being kidnapped, hurt, bullied, raped--"
     She stopped herself, and looked back at me. She stopped her skipping and started laughing like mad women on drugs.
            "Never mind! We all have problems, that one was mine! I have a tendency to stalk you, until you get to school."
        That's the last thing she said before skipping back into school.
   Strange child.
      I didn't realize how rapidly my hair was flying around my face, until I came back to reality.
       Might as well go in. It won't do me any good if I stay out here, and catch a cold. I tend to only catch colds in the summer... but when it turns fall in Idaho, you better wish you put a coat on.