Chapter 1

The lone rose was blood red, like the warm liquid that seeped through the earth, drenching the blistering soil in which the rose of the aforesaid lay in a crimson puddle with the stench of metallic. This companionless rose, despite having germinated in the equidistant of Hell, radiated purity. An innocence so luminous and perfect, it made me nauseated. I glared at the revolting flower, its scent of chastity mixed uncannily with the putrid ever present aroma of death and agony. It wasn't supposed to be here, in a place like this. It wasn't made to witness the form of torment afflicted among those unfortunate souls who were dragged here due to their own sinful exploits. I, having a curfew to abide by, left the forsaken rose, meaning to have my father remove it the following day.

The agonized screams of torture and pain carried me back to reality, accompanying me as I walked and shriveling away the encounter with the rose as if it had never occurred. The familiar sounds of flesh being torn, bones being splintered, and bodies being cremated enlightened me, reminded me of my father, my father who was expecting me. I only had a short amount of time to get home, as I noticed the Cutameirs assembling their large range of supplies.

At midnight they would unveil a number of unfortunate souls selected by my father to be tortured in the most atrocious beastly manner. This was an annual event, an event that my father attended yearly, as it was an offering to him in honor of his power and presence. This year, he had invited me to go with him, along with Mother, my two older brothers, Eteocles and Polynices, his mother Merope, and the few servants who have the privilege to cater to us in our manor. My sister, Ismene, was too young to witness such violence.