Closer [Reigisa AU]

Author's note: hey the only reason this is an AU is because Nagisa's a bartender and they're older. That's it.

I hope you enjoy!

***

"Hey, maybe they'll be a few cute boys there for our little Rei!"

Rei adjusted his suit jacket, cracking a smile as his coworkers laughed. He knew they weren't actually laughing at him; he was the new guy, the runt, and consequently, a prime target for teasing. But it was all in good fun, and he enjoyed nights out with them like this one. After a long conference with esteemed scientist around the world, the small group planned to grab a few drinks before heading to their rooms. A few even decided to keep an eye out for girls, which brought up Rei's sexuality.

However, as much as he liked his new friends, he still missed the people from his high school swim club. After a little argument with arguably his closest friend on the team, he quit just shy of competition time and brought his focus back to his scientific studies. He rocketed to the top of the class and went straight to the best school he could after graduating without so much as a goodbye.

Now, four years later, he was walking among prestigious scientific minds, kept company by their laughter, yet feeling hollow and alone.

Hey, I was doing just fine before I met you

Lost in his thoughts, he kept his head down as he ducked in the doorway of the exquisite hotel he was staying in. Rei followed his friends to the bar, paying attention to the clicking of their shiny shoes against the tile floors rather than the growing pain in his chest. It always happened when he thought about his old friends: that stabbing sensation in his heart and the overwhelming urge to cry. However, unlike Rin, he was always able to keep it in.

I drink too much and that's an issue
But I'm OK

His friends ordered him a drink after they gathered at the counter, chatting loudly about which professor they hated and why. Their drinks went untouched while Rei swallowed two full servings, distracted.

"Hey, buddy, you okay?" The bartender asked, washing a glass. He was a tall, skinny man with short, curly hair that was more vibrantly orange than the rising sun. Rei nodded yes, setting his nearly empty glass down.

"Fine," He muttered, avoiding eye contact. "Just thinking."

He wasn't lying. His thoughts were racing with images of him and his friends from Iwatobi, all smiling and laughing. Truth be told, he missed them. Rei missed his friends dearly  and wanted to see them again, if for no other reason than to apologize. But he had no idea where any of them were, so instead of with them, he was with these scientists that could never compare to Haru, Makoto, and Nagisa, and a nosy bartender.

Just as he was about to tell the orange haired bartender, off, he heard a happy, boyish call. "Hey, Takumi, I've got him from here."

Hey, you tell your friends it was nice to meet them
But I hope I never see them
Again