Where It All Started

Do you remember elementary? When everything was so much simpler, and you didn't have anything or anyone to worry about. Well, that all changed after middle school. Everyone you thought you knew, you didn't. Sometimes people change for the better, and sometimes for the worst.

Hope walked into the school and saw everyone with their "cliques" and best friends, so she decided to walk past all of them, entering her first period and sitting in the corner. She saw the "popular group" of Ashley, Emily, and Yolanda and could tell that they were fighting, by the way their eyebrows are knitted and the loud screaming they gave each other. She walked up to them and wanted to work things out. "Hi, Ashley, how are you?" She asked Ashley, sounding kind of nervous as she had never talked to them before.

"I'm sorry I just don't really want to talk right now." Ashley said back to her and stormed away.

Yolanda and Emily stared at Hope. "What have you done?!" Emily asked Hope furiously.

"I don't think I did anything wrong! I just asked how she was doing!" Hope responded in defense then walked away with faint tears in her eyes, feeling like an utter failure. Faith could see that Hope was down by the way she had her head hanging low and walked up to her, putting a hand on her shoulder as a form of comfort. "What's wrong, Hope?"

"Oh it's nothing..." Hope replied but Faith could tell that something was wrong from the way her eyes glazed when she looked at Faith.

"Hope, I've known you for about 3 years now, don't you think I can tell when you're lying?"

Hope sniffled and wiped a tear that was slowly crawling down her cheek, "Well, it's just that Ashley got into a fight with her closest friends and when I tried to help. . ." She looked away from Faith, controlling the coming tears, "Ashley kind of stormed out and she just didn't want to talk to me," Hope told Faith, her voice starting to shake. "And Emily got mad at me after Ashley stormed out, and I didn't even do anything bad to them but now I feel bad and I didn't really know what to do so, I--I--." Hope stopped herself before she bursted on the first day of school. The bell rang for first period. Hope and Faith gave each other a look that just said "this isn't over" and they both walked away, knowing the upcoming drama that's about to come.

--

As lunch came along, the two best friends, Faith and Hope, walked down the hallway in search of Ashley to ask her how she was doing. The popular group has been the best of friends as long as they could remember, that seeing how angry they were to each other was very unlikely.

"I'll see you at the lunch table." Faith told Hope, her stomach grumbling at her for food. Hope nodded at her before she walked a different way to the cafeteria.

When Hope walked farther from the crowd of students, a noise was heard in the distance, sounding almost like someone was crying. To her guess, she walked towards the noise and saw the curtain of blonde hair covering the face of sobbing Ashley, her cries bouncing around the enclosed staircase along with muffled words.

"Hey. . . Ashley. . ." Hope sat beside Ashley, arm length apart to not intrude her privacy.

"What do you want?!" Ashley's voice cracked from the amount of crying. "Leave me alone!" When she looked at Hope, her eyes were red and started to puff after an hour of endless tears.

"I didn't see you in class today, I just wondered if you were okay. . ." Hope said softly, staring down at the ground ashamed of facing a popular girl who looks broken like her.

"I-It's nothing. . ." Ashley said, softer this time and wiped her red nose. "They're just being. . . I don't know. . ." She fumbled with her words, not knowing how to explain how they acted upon her a week before school started; she soon realized that she confessed about what had happened to a complete stranger, but it didn't matter because she actually listened; she was worried, she cared and not later she has spilled out all her feelings that the weight on her shoulder has been lifted.