Prologue

"Maria, could you come here for a second?" I looked towards my doorway and eventually get up and follow the voice of my mother calling for me. "I'm coming."

I say as I reach my destination. She gestures towards the kitchen table, I pull out a chair and sit down.

"So Maria the reason I called you in here, is I think you should finally know the truth."

I stare at her with confusion written all over my face. "The truth? What're you talking about?" I ask, as she sits down herself in the chair next to me, I turn to look at her, wanting her to continue.

"Well, you know how I don't have any pictures of you as a newborn or when you were in the hospital being born, or anything else like that?" I nod my head, knowing she was right, and it always did confuse me as to why my own mother didn't have any pictures of me when I was born or anything but she had told me they got lost so why was she asking me this? .

"Yeah, you told me they got lost in the move to New York." She hangs her head low, and I believe I saw a tear stroll down her cheek.

"Well, I lied to you sweetheart, thats not why I don't have any pictures," Before she could finish I interrupted her. "Then why don't you, and why would you lie?" I question.

She looks up at me and sadly smiles, "You were adopted, your birth parents or someone left you on my doorstep, and I found you when I came home from school one day, I wanted to tell you sooner but I never could find the right time."

I just stared at her like she was on drugs, I got up and stormed out of the room and up to my room.

"Maria, I'm sorry , please come back baby, I never meant to hurt you!" My mother kept calling out for me, but I just ignored her and slammed my bedroom door and laid on my bed, and cried my eyes out thinking of how my whole life was a lie.