Prologue

This is the second book in my Unique series. To read Book #1 on Wattpad, visit my Wattpad profile at wattpad.com/iamnikkiturner. 

Unique I: With only two hundred dollars, Unique packed her suitcase and headed to New York City for a brand new start. It’s there that Unique meets big time boxing promoter, Kennard and it is love at first sight. However, after nine months of living in the lap of luxury with Kennard, skeletons from Unique’s past show up and it will cost her a cool million dollars to not only keep her relationship but her life. But Unique isn’t about to lose it all. With the help of her best friend, she devises a major heist and to pull it off all she has to do it stay alive

The queen-sized bed took up more than half of the space in the rented seedy hotel room. The other half contained a night table, matching dresser with a mirror, a miniature coffee table, and an armoire that housed a flat-screen TV behind its French-style doors. In the corner was a small dorm-room-sized refrigerator. Fat Tee sat at the old, rickety coffee table, which had seen better days, drinking a Heineken that the fridge had barely kept cold. Fat Tee had thought about getting a room at one of the upscale hotels now that he had a few dollars, but the plus side to staying at Bugley’s Inn was that it was inexpensive by New York standards, and for the most part the people that squatted there were too busy minding their own business to mind his.
     God knows he had enough problems as it was and the last thing he needed was someone up in his business. When Fat Tee had first driven his late model Honda to New York in search of Unique, all he wanted was a little revenge for what she and her ex-boyfriend Took had done to him over seven years ago. After three months of searching the big city’s seedy areas and not locating her, Fat Tee had been ready to call it a waste of time. Then, sitting in this very same room, he saw an ESPN special on Kennard DuVall. The strikingly beautiful woman by Kennard’s side caught his eye as the cameras followed them through their New Jersey mansion. Fat Tee had to do a double and then a triple take. Fat Tee, kept telling himself, “Naw, it couldn’t be.” He sat in total silence and studied the woman. It wasn’t until Kennard looked at the woman with a smile of a nigga who had been pussy-whipped and said, “Unique is the love of my life,” that Fat Tee knew for sure.

Immediately Fat Tee knew that there was only one bitch by that name capable of casting that type of spell over such a powerful man. Unique was as beautiful as she was conniving, maybe more.

This changed things for Fat Tee tremendously. Back in Virginia seven years ago, after Took and Unique had scammed him, a trail of bad luck seemed to follow him. Once one of the most hood-richest dudes to walk the streets of Richmond, Virginia, he was now down and out with a dope habit and a docket full of court cases, with no money to pay for the drugs or a lawyer. He had ended up going to prison and kicking his habit. While some used jail time to rehabilitate themselves, Fat Tee couldn’t focus on bettering himself. All he could seem to think about was getting out of jail and getting even with Unique for not only hurting his feelings but bruising his ego and stealing his livelihood.

When he found out fact that Unique was dating Kennard DuVall, the stakes were quickly raised.

It wasn’t hard to find Unique after the ESPN piece aired. The very next day, Fat Tee just waited outside of Kennard’s office building until, low and behold, Unique rolled up, driving a shiny red Benz. He followed her to the house she and Kennard shared in Jersey. His daddy used to install alarms so bypassing the security system was a breeze for Fat Tee. He probably should have followed in his father’s footsteps or at least chosen a different career path, he thought, but hindsight was always twenty-twenty.