01

[ mike's pov ]

"ah son of a bitch," i heard dustin curse.

i mentally facepalmed myself, "what is it now?" i questioned my dumbass of a friend.

"i forgot about that lame math homework," dustin sighed as we put our bikes in the bike rack.

"and you call me stupid," lucas said acting disappointed.

"are you calling me dumb for not getting my homework done?" dustin said, offended, as we walked into the school building, walking to our lockers.

"i'm not only calling you stupid, i'm calling you an idiot too," lucas said, laughing at dustin.

we put what we didn't need into our lockers and walked to class.

"as a matter of fact, the words stupid and idiot are basically the same thing," dustin said in a weird accent, "so i don't think i'm the stupid one here."

lucas was about to say something before i cut him off. "oh can you two shut up already," i said as we walked into class only to be greeted by our other friend, will.

will looked up and slightly smiled at us. it was odd seeing him in class before us, but then again not surprising. he always seems to be off in another little world sometimes.

"hey, we missed you this morning. what happened?" i questioned, concerned. will didn't ride bikes with us this morning like he usually did. i didn't even see his bike in the bike rack.

"oh uh sorry, i had some uh, homework i forgot about last night and wanted to get here earlier to finish it," he said somewhat nervously. i figured his mom or brother dropped him off.

"that's alright will, at least someone remembered to finish their homework," lucas said, then turning his head towards dustin.

"what?! jesus, leave me alone about that already," dustin said putting his hands up in defense. we all laughed, and then the bell rang. we sat in our usual seats.

-lil skip-

i wasn't really paying attention to the teacher because i was too focused on will. he seemed to be dozing off too.

sometimes i worry about him. one minute he seems completely normal and then the next he just seems, distant. i want to ask him what's bothering him, but every time i try to, he talks about something else before i can even get my question out.

class was finally over so i got up and walked out of class with dustin, lucas, and will. until i noticed will was kind of dragging behind.

i slowed down a bit so we were walking side by side.

i smiled down at him considering i'm a little bit taller.

he barely noticed my presence.

i sighed and slightly frowned, i just want to know what's wrong with my best friend.

——

i hope you enjoyed the first part! by the way, the story is still based in the same time period, but i decided to not follow along with the normal plot and just keep this book a little easier for me to write.

and i hope none of you get offended by the fact that this book is based around byler. you can look at this story from either their wonderful friendship, or maybe a possible relationship. (which this may turn into later so please don't get upset about that.) either way is fine with me.

anyways, i hope you liked it! (: