Scary Story #1 - The Jammed Door Handle

*sigh*
It all started on a Thursday afternoon about two years ago. Well, I may as well tell a backstory so you know what's going on. Anyway, at the time I was twelve-years-old. My dad works off and on with a twenty-four hour shift and my mom works every Thursday. It started off as a normal Thursday: I would wake up, go to school, come home, do my homework, and relax while watching Netflix on my iPad. Well, it was all normal until the relaxing part anyway.
So, I'll save your patience and skip the unimportant details such as school and homework. Anyway, skip to my relax time. One other thing I would like to say is: at the time, no one was home except my brother and my sister. You get the picture.
     My sister and I were sitting down in what we call our carpet room, because it is the only room with carpet in it, when my sister got up suddenly. I decided to ignore her because she is weird and has problems with people touching her things and people moving things around. In other words, she is paranoid about other people, even her family, being anywhere near any of her belongings. Knowing that at the time, I pushed her sudden act away and continued watching Netflix assuming my brother was eating some of her candy, or something.
After a while, I started to wonder what was taking her so long and decided to go see what she was up to. What I saw was strange, even for her. She was peeking through the window curtains that were on a window to the left of the door to try to see something outside. Then, she would run through to the other windows in the house to look all around them. I just stood there for a while, not really knowing what was going on, until she just calmed down and told me.
She told me that about five minutes before I had entered the room, she heard a noise outside and decided to see what was going on. When she got to the window, she saw a hooded figure through a tiny peep in the window curtain that allows you to see who is standing outside without being noticed. My sister just stood there, thinking it was a customer of my dad. (When my dad was off of his twenty-four hour shift, he was at home running a bow and arrow shop in our shed.) But something was different about this guy. Usually, when people are looking for my dad, they will knock on the door and ask if our dad is home. We know most of our dad's friends, and this guy was not one of them according to my sister.
She didn't do anything because her eleven-year-old mind wasn't exactly processing what could be happening properly. She told me that the guy was wiggling at the door handle as if he was in an extreme hurry. Her words were "ferociously beating" at the door handle. The door wasn't locked, so my sister didn't know why he didn't just open the door if he was trying to break in.
Anyway, a few seconds before I entered the room, my sister said the guy ran away from the house and just hopped into a black van-type thing. She didn't know what it was called. And that's when I entered the room. After she told me what had just happened, I quickly told everyone to lock all the doors and windows. My siblings were confused because they were both too young to fully understand, but I knew perfectly what that guy was trying to do. After we locked everything and checked three times, we went back to the TV. At the time, I didn't have a cell phone, so I couldn't call my mother and tell her what had happened. So we just waited for her to get home. It felt like ages for her to finally get off work at 6:00, but it happened eventually. My sister and I told her everything that had happened. She also suggested that maybe he was a customer of my dad, but my sister didn't recognize him and he was behaving extremely odd to be a customer. My mom never admitted it, but I think she suspected the same thing I did: a potential break in. She probably never said it so we wouldn't get scared. But, here's the scary and extremely lucky part: our door has a history with a bad handle. It will often get jammed up and give the illusion that it is locked when it really is not. When you grab it, it doesn't move like it should, but you can still open it. Although this isn't very common, I think that the bad door handle saved my siblings, as well as my own, lives. If it weren't for the jammed door handle, I can't even begin to imagine what would have happened to everyone.

I'm starting a series of scary stories. Some will be true; most will not be. I'll label the bottom of each true one. Anyway, hope you enjoyed!

True story...