Make a Move

Kuro yawned and rolled back to face Mahiru in cat form, it was a weekend and Mahiru had heaps of work for school during the week. To be fair it was his fault for doing all the things nobody else wanted to do, but he was over working himself. Kuro was happy he go to sleep in, but he was also happy Mahiru was having a break. Seeing his face so calm and at ease had been rare with all the stress, things would settle down now but Mahiru needed to relax.

He closed his eyes and tried to go back to sleep but was startled when there was a ring at the door, Mahiru had almost jumped out of his skin. Weird, they weren't expecting any visitors. It was probably a door to door salesmen although Mahiru still panicked and got dressed and ready in the blink of an eye. It was exhausting just watching. Mahiru ran to the door and opened it, Kuro peeked out of the door to see an unfamiliar man standing at the door in a casual tee and jeans. He could feel the blood boiling in his veins when they hugged, Kuro had never met him, who on earth was he, how dare he so casually touch Mahiru.

Kuro quickly shook the thoughts out of his head, thinking about it was a pain. Mahiru stood in the doorway waiting, his posture indicated he was waiting for the man to say what he had to say and leave. Kuro had a bad feeling about him the minute he pushed Mahiru to the side and walked in, he just pushed him as if he meant nothing and that made him pissed.

He walked over to Mahiru giving a small glare at the man as he walked by, and he meowed at him knowing he couldn't transform or speak, that would just make things even more troublesome. Mahiru told the man to make himself comfortable and that he just had to take his cat out to pee.

"Ah you got a cat? What's its name"

The man asked before Mahiru left the door with slight curiosity. Mahiru answered briefly before walking out the door.

"Him. It's a him, and his name is Kuro"

The strange man laughed and replied,

"Black? Because it's a black cat? You haven't changed at all!"

He said it in a joking way, but it had a dark undertone as if he meant it in a hurtful way. Kuro didn't like that one bit, even though his name was very simple like all of Mahiru's ideas he liked it. Kuro followed Mahiru outside and they walked down to the bottom of the apartments. Kuro jumped up on Mahiru's shoulder and waited for answers.

"That's Robert, he was....um... he was..."

Mahiru couldn't seem to finish his sentence, he stuttered and stared playing with his fingers in either nervousness or embarrassment or possibly a mix of both. Kuro just mumbled 'Can't deal' and waiting till Mahiru finally spat it out.

"Ex-boyfriend..."

Kuro was shocked that was for sure. Mahiru looked away clearly worried about what Kuro was going to think, Kuro just went on with the conversation and acted like what he said wasn't anything important, but it really was important. It made Kuro pretty happy actually, it meant he had a chance.

"Yeah but what is he doing here.... Such a pain"

"I really have no clue, we haven't talked in a long time. He might want to be friends again? I don't know but he won't be staying long so don't worry Kuro"

Mahiru said and gave Kuro a soft comforting pat on the head, both Mahiru and Kuro jumped when they heard footsteps approaching. It was Robert. Kuro could feel a growl rising in his throat but for Mahiru's sake he kept it to himself, he didn't know why he hated this guy so much. Maybe it was the way he hugged Mahiru, maybe it was the way he then pushed him aside.

"Were you just talking to your cat? Ahaha man you really are crazy! You're such a freak"

Or maybe it was things like that. The way he said jokes laughing and the way Mahiru would laugh along, oblivious to the truth in his words. Kuro had centuries of experience and he could tell that wasn't a joke, and that made him just want to go up and punch the guy. Kuro knew it would become a huge bother if he got involved so he just sat on Mahiru's shoulder as they went inside. Mahiru put Kuro down and nudged him, then saying to Robert,