The Murder

I was angry.

How dare they send me, their best fighter, into exile for one petty death? So I killed someone. Big deal. That's my job. But no. One person invaded my quarters, and attacked me, so I defended myself and killed the guy. How was I supposed to know he was the Queen's nephew?

Of course, when we were fighting, there was a good deal of shouting, so the Queen and her sister came running, opening the door as I delivered the death blow. How fitting. The fiend should die bleeding out in his own mother's arms.

Nola Rowan was absolutely beside herself with fury. Quite an overreaction if you ask me. She immediately declared that I was to be hanged for my crime, but then she looked again at her sister, who was in pieces over the death of her son, as he lay there bleeding to death, absolutely ruining my lovely carpet with his bothersome blood.

Sarah Hazel had knelt down next to him, white and shaking, as though she would never function the same again. Honestly I can't blame her, that was quite an expensive rug, and I'd only just paid it off.

When the Queen perceived this, her eyes hardened, and She revised her sentence.

"A quick death is more than you deserve, Jasper" she ----- " you should instead have to suffer for what you've done." What she said next shocked me so much, I barely heard the whole thing. "You, Jasper Grimm, are hereby exiled from the Queendom of Enond for life, or a thousand years. Whichever is longer."

I wasn't too happy about that, as you could imagine, but I started packing anyways, as soon as Nola Rowan and Sarah Hazel left. I packed as much of my richest belongings into a sack, and as much food as possible into another sack. That was a mistake.

The Queen came by with guards after she had taken care of her sister and had the body carried away. She saw that I was packing for my exile and became angry.

"You don't get to take anything with you!" She exclaimed, "Jasper! This is exile, not a vacation!"

"Of course, you must not comprehend the weight of a sentence like 'exile', your majesty." I replied, "You see, I am not allowed to ever come back, so I must take my belongings with me, as I will be unable to retrieve them in my exile. Suppose I needed something?" It baffled me that Nola Rowan didn't seem to grasp this concept. And she was supposed to be a great and wise queen.

"I believe you are the one with misconceptions of the meaning of exile." she retaliated. Psh. As if. What kind of queen does she think she is if she doesn't even understand exile? "Part of the exile is that you are forced to give up the many comforts and luxuries you have had as you lived in my household." She was leaning over me now, so close I could almost see her heart beating in her breast. It would be so easy to kill her right here and now. My hand unconsciously groped for my knife, but found only an empty sheath. The palace guards had taken all of my weapons after Nola Rowan had given her initial sentence. "When you leave, you will be transported to the border in a prison carriage, and dumped there with nothing but the clothing on your back." I still didn't think this sounded like such a bad deal, as my current outfit was rather heavy, having not been changed in the time that I had been inside from my stroll through the grounds. "And I can assure you, they will be a far cry from the rich silks and furs you wear now."

How bothersome.

The way she says it, I will not even have my sword. Also, with it being the dead of winter now, she seems to be implying that what I wear may cause me discomfort.